• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Im losing him :( - Any advice?

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
Benji lost some weight a few months ago and we found that although he was eating he wasnt eating as much because his tooth has rubbed his cheek making it sore.
After a lil op to have his teeth filed he gained some weight but then started to loose it again.

Hes had several vet visits to weigh him and has been eating like a horse as he normally does but each time he was weighed hed lost more weight.

Well benji had to stay in for tests this week and I found out today that he has liver disease :(
Im a bit :cry: at the moment, hes so special to me I cant bear the thought of losing him especially only being 5yrs, its really not very old even for a netherland.
Has anyone had any experience with liver disease?

Were back to the vets tomorrow to start a course of medication and then see where we can go from there but they dont think he has very long :cry:
Hes only a tiny bun anyway but weighed 1.5 when he was chubby, 0.98 when he went for his teeth and since then 0.93, & yesterday 0.90 :?

Be strong my lil man :love:
bensm.jpg

I'm so sorry.

I don't have any experience with liver disease but I do know what it is like to wath your bunny get sicker and know that you can't really do much to help. It is horrible and although I've gone through it with a number of pets, it is always heart breaking.

All I can say is that you just try to make the time they have left as enjoyable for them as possible, favourite foods, treats, toys that sort of thing.

Perhaps the medication may not extend his life but it might give him a better quality of life. I think you are doing all that you can.

I hope things improve for you and Benji, he is lucky to have such an attentive owner

Hugs

FC

I'm so sorry for you and little Benji. I don't have experience in this but I wanted to send you bunny best wishes. xxxx

:( I'm very sorry - I do have experience with some buns with liver failure.
Did the vet say why the liver was failing? Is it due to a cancer of some sorts?

What I can suggest is to feed him porridge oats to help him maintain his weight as well as weetabix and lots of garden weeds. If you can give him milk thistle it will help to cleanse his liver and his kidneys - you can also get milk thistle tincture (not the alcoholic version) - put this in his water to help his liver :D

I'll send healing and positive vibes to him - the lovely wee man - xxxxx

Aww im so sorry, this must be awful and suc a horrible thing to go through, i dont have any experience sorry but just wanted to wish the poor we thing well... Stay strong lil man ...:love:

Just remember he has had a brilliant life... and hes best not to be in pain
Big hugs x

Jaypot said:
:( I'm very sorry - I do have experience with some buns with liver failure.
Did the vet say why the liver was failing? Is it due to a cancer of some sorts?

What I can suggest is to feed him porridge oats to help him maintain his weight as well as weetabix and lots of garden weeds. If you can give him milk thistle it will help to cleanse his liver and his kidneys - you can also get milk thistle tincture (not the alcoholic version) - put this in his water to help his liver :D

I'll send healing and positive vibes to him - the lovely wee man - xxxxx

Agreed, Both my rats had liver disease and my cat had a liver infection that has now led to a weakened liver and is on a supplement which has milk thistle in along with other vits and mins. She is doing well and we thought we were going to lose her when she had the infection as she just kept dropping weight, but after anti biotics and on a prescription diet and the supplements she is doing well.
Im also having Vinnie tested next week for liver and kidney probs as he too has started to lose weight and eating like a horse, inc me giving him osts to bump up his weight, but he is ancient so its no surprise with him. My rats also had a few extra months after diagnosis with certain things removed from their diet and milk thistle supplement.

Hope all goes well!

Thankyou so much for your support, I spoke to the vet when i went to pick up his meds.
Hes analised the results a bit more and he thinks it could be caused by a parasite which isnt completly curable but certainly treatable to reduce the effects.

Feeling a lot more positive after our chat and I know that benji is such a strong bunny and although hes so skinny hes still his mischevious self and eating well.

Hes now on new antibiotics for 10 days and then more tests to see how hes doing on it. Looks like ill be doing both jobs a bit longer than planned :roll:

wow a parasite did he say what sort?
i am really sorry hes not wel with this and i hope that your vet can help him nwo he knows what its down to..

healing vibes and nosey rubs for the wee fellaxx

Thanks guys,
He does seem to be full of beans and I 'think' puttin on weight but Im not sure if thats because of the meds or just because of the Science rescue and Oats he loves so much :roll:

One of my bridge buns, Milo had liver cancer which unfortunately wasn't detected until about an hour before he died. :(

Milo had no symptoms until the day before when he stopped eating and appeared listless. We went to the vets and they gave him some fluids and science recovery but the next day I found him in his hutch with diarrhoea all over his bottom and tail. We went straight back to the vets and they wanted to operate on his teeth :shock: as they thought that was causing him not to eat or clean himself. I was a bit confused about this diagnosis, but at the time thought they knew best. Unfortunately they called me as soon as I got home to say they'd found a huge mass around his liver and they hadn't operated. They asked my permission to pts but I asked them to hang on until I got there. Poor Milo died before I could get there. :(

I would say that if your bun is still eating and the vet is trying to get on top of whatever it is...keep going. These little bunnies can surprise us!

Oh Im so sorry to hear about Milo :(

Our new vet does seem to know what hes doing with bunnies and has been very good with all my animals this last year (weve had a difficult year :roll: )

Im glad hes doing proper tests ect and the nurses are lovely and spend time cuddling them when they have to stay in.
I do want the best for him and glad I can feel that hes getting it :thumb:

For such a tiny bunny he really is a strong lad so Im a lot more hopeful he will be with me for years to come but will know more in a week after more tests.

Wellll its looking like Benji will be with us for a while longer yet :D
They just like to worry me I think :roll:

Hes responded very well to the antibiotics and he is putting on weight and drinking less again.
The vet says it probably wont be 100% and we need to keep an eye out for signs but that his liver should regenerate and improve to some extent on its own.

Cant tell you how pleased I am that hes going to be ok... next step, get Evie to loose the weight shes put on gettin hold of the extra food :roll: :lol:

Back