• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth...Again...Update and Pictures

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Pringle was at the vet yesterday as i felt he was just not himself, despite managing to eat no bother... its his teeth again, was only 7 weeks ago he got them cut and 6 before that. So he is away this morning to get them done again :(. Hopefully will be longer before he needs them done again....

I spoke to the vet about the GA and they said there was a higher risk this time as he has had it done a couple of times and wasnt to long ago :(.

Has anyone rabbit been in for a few GA's? as im a bit worried about Pringle. Also i was hoping to get hi neutered and a girlfriend but i don`t want to put him through ANOTHER one if a couple of weeks to be neutered.

Does anyone know if its possible to maybe neuter him the next time he gets his teeth done *crosses fingers its ages* or do you think they wouldnt do that.. i was going to speak to my vet about this but last time he got his teeth cut down they said i may have to think about PTS which im NOT doing unless he really becomes ill.. i just dont want them to think im being cruel by puting him through all this.. am i? i just want him to be happy :(

Hayley xx

Aw poor little guy :( I assume its his molar (back) teeth?

I don't see why he couldn't be neutered and have his teeth done at the same time- I've had this done before with my rabbits.

Also, looking to the future, could you find a vet who will do teeth without a GA? Mine does- the benefit is that it does not have the long term effects of a GA and the often long recovery period. Sometimes they give them a whiff of gas to make them calmer whilst its done.

Obviously I don't know your bunns history, but it sounds wrong to me for him to be PTS if its just his teeth- I would find a new vet if I were you!

OMG Zippy has had loads and loads, try not to worry. I know it's easy for me to say, because I worry like hell. In fact Holly is being done today and I'm :censored: ing it.

Honestly Zippy's teeth were that bad, she had to have a GA every 6-8 weeks and this went on for well over a year. :D

PS Zippy aint dead, I made trhat sound like she was :oops: , she's still with me, she had a dental on Tuesday and they've managed to get out the bad teeth, so hopefully she wont need another :thumb: don't give up on your bunny :D

mandy said:
Aw poor little guy :( I assume its his molar (back) teeth?

I don't see why he couldn't be neutered and have his teeth done at the same time- I've had this done before with my rabbits.

Also, looking to the future, could you find a vet who will do teeth without a GA? Mine does- the benefit is that it does not have the long term effects of a GA and the often long recovery period. Sometimes they give them a whiff of gas to make them calmer whilst its done.

Obviously I don't know your bunns history, but it sounds wrong to me for him to be PTS if its just his teeth- I would find a new vet if I were you!

Well they said that last time but hes gone in again, im not geting him PTS unless he is completly ill hes a brilliant bunny and has loads of years ahead of him (hopefully), Well when he first got them done, (his molars) the vet said about doing it when he was awake but he jumps like anything when the vet goes near his mouth so best for a GA. Just hope he is ok.. Fingers crossed
Thanks loads and hope your bun is ok
x

SOAD said:
OMG Zippy has had loads and loads, try not to worry. I know it's easy for me to say, because I worry like ****. In fact Holly is being done today and I'm :censored: ing it.

Honestly Zippy's teeth were that bad, she had to have a GA every 6-8 weeks and this went on for well over a year. :D

Thanks, makes me feel more at ease..thank you. Im phoning about one to see how he is so ihope he is fine, and he can spnd tonight with me :D .
i hope Holly is fine im sureshe will be!

The vet told me they cant take his teeth out :? luckily enough its only one side of his mouth tis time where as before it was both.
Fingers crossed

Thanks loads xxx

Hi there. My bunnies have had a series of repeat GAs recently.

I do find that they take longer and longer to 'come round' from the procedure in terms of how quickly they feel well again, so the TLC they need seems to increase each time. My vet nurse secretly told me that my bunnies take longer to come around from the GA on the table, which just panics me, vet told me that can be expected though.

My vet too discussed PTS at one point, to my horror, though in fact was only reminding me that quality of life in between is important. One of my bunnies took 2 long weeks to fully eat properly again after a dental (so was syringe fed all that time) and it took her the same time to be happy again, but she needed another about a week later at one point. So, despite some mild criticism, I did consider PTS at that point. I didn't though.

Hope bunny is ok.

Fiona x

Thanks Fiona :) well i didnt know much about the teeth to start wth to i didnt know wether it was right or not to PTS cause of it but since being on here i now know they can do it. Hes home now and will posta couple of pics below :D
thanks again xx

P.s hope ur bunnies are ok

Heres some pictures of my bun and his home tonight :D i came home and made a little bit at bottom of my bed as i didnt wanna put him in the lil run i normally do as he hates it.. hes still a bit dosey and fell over but is sleeping it off :D.

DSC01098.jpg

OOOH where am ii
DSC01099.jpg

Just before he fell over..bless him :oops:
DSC01100.jpg

One of my doggies r feeling just as tired
DSC01094.jpg

Our vet said it was possible but the vet nurse said it was harder to get them to eat after having both done so i chose just for the neuter

Awww he's lovely Hayley and your dog too! :love:

Thats odd your vet said that mumofthumps- mine gave me the impression it is quite common toi do both at the same time as it seems the ideal time to have a look attheir teeth whilst they're under a GA for a neuter.

Back