• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stronghold

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Just saw a post on another thread that concerned me.

I have a bun from the free ads(Alex my NZ white), that when i got him had mites. (First case I'd seen). My "Rabbit savvy" vet gave me stronghold to treat him with -he's a big bun & had dosage for a small dog.

On the other thread - someone posted this was lethal to buns :? Is this correct?

I've had other buns treated since then (including Alex again), & I've requested Ivomet-wotsit everytime cos of what I've read on here, but slightly worried about previous treatment now :?

Hi
Worry not! Stronghold is fine for rabbits, I've used it for some of mine in the past. It is frontline that can be lethal to them.

jbun1 said:
Hi
Worry not! Stronghold is fine for rabbits, I've used it for some of mine in the past. It is frontline that can be lethal to them.

Yes, its Frontline that has had anecdotal reports of adverse effects in Rabbits.
Advantage is the only licenced flea treatment for Buns I think :? But that does NOT imply Stronghold is unsafe

Janex :D

We've used Stronghold on Willow prescirbed by our vets. He was fine and it cleared up the mite problem quite quickly.

I think stronghold is a brand name for selamectin, which should be safe for rabbits.

The actual flea treatment in Frontline is thought not to be dangerous for rabbits - it's the 'carrier' solution... so I guess any drug not licenced for rabbits could (in theory) change the carrier solution they use, thereby making it lethal for rabbits :?:

Angie65 said:
someone posted this was lethal to buns :?

Its Ok Angie, you can name me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if you had read the other thread abit further you would of seen that I oppologised as I realised it was Frontline I was refering to, not stronghold :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back