• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on tummy

Leigh

Mama Doe
We noticed that our new female rabbit has a bald patch on her tummy (slightly to one side) that is about a centimetre and a half square. According to the rescue people she had only recently (read about 4-6 weeks) been paired with the male we have.

The bald patch is not sore, flaky, red, itchy or anything at all! Just looks likes perfectly normal skin. Weve not seen her pulling at it or licking it, or the male doing anything to her. Weve also checked for fleas and cant see any problems

We did find a post on here that said it could be psychological and even possibly boredom, which could be the reason she was paired up (apparently she was the runt of the litter and nobody wanted her - did i hear you say awww.. :wink: )

Obviously were going to keep a close eye on it, just wondered if anyone had any advice/information at all?

Thanks

Is she spayed? Buns have phantom pregnancies due to hormones if unspayed & pull out their belly fur to make a nest. Spaying stops this :D

Or if she was recently spayed the hair takes a while to grow back

Yes she has been spayed :) We first thought that it was from the oepration but the patch is too high up and there is no sign of scar in that area.

Maybe a bonding accident then? They pull fur out sometimes when introduced or if smell of nearby buns upsets them.

They can "self-harm" if depressed, but if bun is otherwise lively with toys/room/space/company, i wouldn't have thought it was this - unless bun is being bullied?

99.9% its not bullying as the two of them seem in lurve. :lol:

We'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Did wonder if it was a birth defect being the runt of the litter? but assumed it wasnt. Would that be possible?

Leigh said:
99.9% its not bullying as the two of them seem in lurve. :lol:

We'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Did wonder if it was a birth defect being the runt of the litter? but assumed it wasnt. Would that be possible?

I have a bun where the hair grew back WHITE over a scar - but not sure if they can stay bald?

My Cracker lost some fur after a reaction to VHD jab, but it had grown back within 2 weeks, but Spice is still raggardy after her last phantom months ago. (She was spayed, but spay was incomplete, so she was still hormonal). maybe it takes longer to grow back on some buns -& could be a bonding fur-pulled bit?

I'd just keep an eye on her :D

im not 100% on bunny anatomy at the moment :lol: if she were human it would be slightly above half way on her tummy but not quite on her chest.

Leigh said:
im not 100% on bunny anatomy at the moment :lol: if she were human it would be slightly above half way on her tummy but not quite on her chest.

The same thing has happened to Thumper post spaying - she still has a bald patch in what sounds like exactly the same spot as your bunny (she is not bonded - so not a result of an accident). I was told it could well be her hormones settling down? There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the skin where she is bald either so maybe its a reaction for some bunnies post spay?

Back