• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NIC- neat idea cube housing

Are you impressed with the NIC constructions?

• Total voters

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Id like to express my amazement for NIC (neat idea cubes)

They were designed in america for making shoe racks / customizable storange racks.

I saw online they could be used to make cages - like this (not mine)

niccubes.png

I have a few boxes spare and hope to construct the worlds largest housing for my buns when I move. Theyre ace- all you do is slot them together and fix with cableties. You can make doors etc and people use mdf or carpet tiles to create floors and levels.

I got mine when argos sold their stash off at about £7.99 a box ( 1 box made the run here)

this is a run I made with them- not as good but it will do for now

run1.jpg

anyone else got an NIC cage???? they are great for gunieas and rabbits but are hard to come by. Ive seen some pretty impressive setups.

Anyone else share my enthusiasm? (i know im sad)

Last edited by a moderator:
The guinea pig forum also has a link with lots of ideas with these as well.

They are certainly versatile and give lots of scope.

I have my buns in a nic built cage, although used cable/zip ties as oppsoed to the things that came with them squares. Here is the cage after I spent what felt like hours cleaning up yesterday! It's not perfect, I would have liked it to be double height all along, but they are moving inot the shed in the spring and they seem happy enough, especially as they have free run of the dining room & kitchen.

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

IMG_8407.jpg

I think theyre fab... but not for everyone. I cant imagine harvey would like it. James would hate the amount of space it would take up and I would hate trying to get in and out to change stuff round.

I just let harvey have the run of the house and have various climbing blocks and tunnels set up around the place for him. He just uses his cage as a base and to sleep and poo in.

I couldnt putit in our conservatory as he would hate the hard flooring. He wont walk on anything other than carpet or grass!! not tiles, wood or anything.. so front/dining room is the best option, biggest space adn loads of area for toys

We are currently looking for a house and flooring is one of my priorities along with a good area for harvey!! sad huh!!

I have C&C cages for my piggies which i think are great - they get tons of space, and like you i got my grids for £7.99 from argos so they were cheap and really quite easy to build.

I personally wouldnt house my bunnies in cube cages - but only because they are all quite large and for me it would be a pain making them jump proof and high enough. Dog crates with the door removed plus those PWS run panels work better for me for the smaller 3 and I just have a barrier across the room made from PWS panels for the big 2.

I do use the grids to create temporary barriers across my living room though when i need to leave Gus & Lola for a couple of seconds - it deters lazy Lola from trying to steal Gus' food and battering him about :lol: (although I have seen her rather ungracefully vault the barrier once in a very unusual display of energy!)

Im interested!!!!!! **JUMPS UP AND DOWN** :D

Are the boxes 6 cube units of 4 cube units?

I would need to look into posting or a courier though as the west midlands is a bit too far the wrong way for us

Where did you originally get yours from?

I went into B&Q last weekend because someone mentioned they had some in their local one but they didn't have them in Northampton! BOOO HOOOO!! :cry: :oops: :lol:

I would bid on yours but I can't collect from there :?

EDIT: Just seen you got yours in Argos, i take it they don't sell them anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use them they are very versatile, in the past I've used them as a cage, created a pen, they are handy to segregate house buns if one isn't eating and I've also protected skirting boards with them if buns have had to move into a non bunny proof room.

:thumb: from me :D

I use them they are very versatile, in the past I've used them as a cage, created a pen, they are handy to segregate house buns if one isn't eating and I've also protected skirting boards with them if buns have had to move into a non bunny proof room.

:thumb: from me :D

Yeh but where did you get them?!!!! :lol:

Yeh but where did you get them?!!!! :lol:

:lol:
I got some from Costco a few years ago and a box from Argos but they've not been in the catalogue for a while.

I thought thee was a thread on here a while ago about them think someone said Wilkinsons do them & Robert May, can't find thread though.

B&Q are only just getting them in their new range so if they dont have stock in your local store just yet then you can ask them to get them in for you they are the Slemka 6 cube storage system

Last edited:
They are awesome! I've used these grids for my house buns for the last five years or so and you can really get creative and make large "condo's" pretty cheaply.

Brigitte

Cubes are a great inexpensive housing option. They allow you to build to a shape and size that fits your liking. I believe they have more pros than cons. If your bun is a little esacpe artist or climber, you can easily add a ceiling to emilinate that problem. If cleaning is an issue, you can simply cut the ties, move panels and reattach when finished. The rescue here uses them frequently. They are great for when you have to restrict a buns space- such as after surgery without having to purchase an additional enclosure. They are easy to move from room to room should you need to quarentine also.

I personally feel the pros out weigh the cons, since I really can't think of any right now. :lol:

I really wish I would have went with the cubes instead of puppy pens.

Back