• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken foot?

capel

Warren Veteran
Hi A very quick question. I have a friend who noticed her bun wasn't able to put any weight on one of his back legs, so she whipped him up to the vet who has diagnosed either a broken toe, or foot. Becasue of the bun's fiesty character and agitation he was unable to examine him properly, so has given a painkiller and she's to take him back for x ray under GA tomorrow. What sort of treatment do you think he'll have? The vet mentioned possibly having to splint his foot?

Hard to say what the treatment would be without knowing where the fracture is (if indeed there is one) It could be up in the hip joint or in the leg or just a toe. Then it would depend on the type of fracture- a clean break, a displaced fracture......
More serious breaks may need surgery (pinning or external fixator)
But it may be a tendon or ligament problem. Does the Bun have a history of sore hocks? If so this can progress to displacement of the digital flexor tendon which, sadly, it is not possble to cure.

Janex

Thanks for that Jane. What would we do without you :) As far as I know he's always been a very healthy bun and has never had a problem with his hocks. I realise that she'll have to wait till tomorrow, but I think she just hasthis anxiety that if it is a bad break that nothing could be done. I'll paste your reply so that she can see that there may well be a surgical option if nec. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

I'm the one with the poorly bunny!

Hi! I'm the owner with the poorly rabbit.

Big thanks to Capel for bringing our plight to your attention.

I have taken Inky in for his X ray this morning and they have said they will ring me before they do anything.

Capel is right, I am worried that if it is a bad break, that nothing can be done to help him.

I'm just hoping it is something fairly minor that can be fixed.

Hiya, welcome to RU :D I hope he's ok, I currently have a broken foot too so I can sympathise :( I'm off to the hospital tomorrow again

I hope they can help him

Re: I'm the one with the poorly bunny!

FriskyClover said:
Hi! I'm the owner with the poorly rabbit.

Big thanks to Capel for bringing our plight to your attention.

I have taken Inky in for his X ray this morning and they have said they will ring me before they do anything.

Capel is right, I am worried that if it is a bad break, that nothing can be done to help him.

I'm just hoping it is something fairly minor that can be fixed.

Hello :wave:

Hope you receive optomistic news from the Vets later

Janex

Update!

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support, it really means a lot.

Just got a call from the vet to say that he has dislocated a toe and also broken one of his toe joints. The good news is that they should heal up on their own, providing he stays restricted to his playhouse. Hopesully, he should be OK.

Re: Update!

FriskyClover said:
Firstly, thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support, it really means a lot.

Just got a call from the vet to say that he has dislocated a toe and also broken one of his toe joints. The good news is that they should heal up on their own, providing he stays restricted to his playhouse. Hopesully, he should be OK.

Thats good news :D
He will be on the subs bench at footie for a few weeks though :wink:

Janex

Hi FC! A big welcome to the Forum....told you it was brill!!! I've never known a support system like it :) Glad to hear that everything's in hand(or foot!!) now :D
Hilda

He's home!

Hi Capel! Yes, it's nice over here!

He has just come home and is going to spend the night inside (vet's orders). He is in the hall with my female, Smokey, and they have both been eating which is good.

I'm a little worried about having him inside though, they usually live outside in a converted playhouse (like a small shed). It is warmer then a hutch but obviously not as warm as inside. I'm a little worried that my lot will start to lose their winter coats! It's going to be about -4C here tonight, so they can't go out. I guess I'll just have to try and keep the hall cool.

Oh,Oh..... Floss and Bournville came in for "one or two" nights while he was recovering from some mystery illness. He was totally back to normal with 24 hours, but they are both still indoor and i don't think they'll go back out until the end of Spring now. They will be indoor buns who'l go outdoors for the summer . They are just so adorable indoors and the difference in them is hard to believe. They are so tame and friendly..just like dogs in some ways. And the pleasure of being able to watch them interact at close quarters is amazing.

capel said:
Oh,Oh..... Floss and Bournville came in for "one or two" nights while he was recovering from some mystery illness. He was totally back to normal with 24 hours, but they are both still indoor and i don't think they'll go back out until the end of Spring now. They will be indoor buns who'l go outdoors for the summer . They are just so adorable indoors and the difference in them is hard to believe. They are so tame and friendly..just like dogs in some ways. And the pleasure of being able to watch them interact at close quarters is amazing.

:D :D :D :D

:wink:

Janex

capel said:

I know, I wouldn't mind them as house bunnies (it's what I plan for them when I get my own home, one day). However, they always seem more relaxed when they're outside in their house and my home is just a bit too noisy and hectic for them to live in full time (plus the rest of the household are not quite as fanatical about rabbits as me!).

Feeding to help repair broken bones?

Inky seems better today but is obviously not putting weight on his foot. I'm worried he'll knok it out of place but the vet seems to think that the rest of the bones in his foot will splint it, I hope she's right!

I just wondered if there is anything I could give him to help his body repair the broken bone more effectively?

Back