Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken foot?

Warren Veteran

Default Broken foot?

Hi A very quick question. I have a friend who noticed her bun wasn't able to put any weight on one of his back legs, so she whipped him up to the vet who has diagnosed either a broken toe, or foot. Becasue of the bun's fiesty character and agitation he was unable to examine him properly, so has given a painkiller and she's to take him back for x ray under GA tomorrow. What sort of treatment do you think he'll have? The vet mentioned possibly having to splint his foot?

Warren Veteran

bump. Any info?

Hard to say what the treatment would be without knowing where the fracture is (if indeed there is one) It could be up in the hip joint or in the leg or just a toe. Then it would depend on the type of fracture- a clean break, a displaced fracture......
    More serious breaks may need surgery (pinning or external fixator)
    But it may be a tendon or ligament problem. Does the Bun have a history of sore hocks? If so this can progress to displacement of the digital flexor tendon which, sadly, it is not possble to cure.

Janex

Warren Veteran

Thanks for that Jane. What would we do without you As far as I know he's always been a very healthy bun and has never had a problem with his hocks. I realise that she'll have to wait till tomorrow, but I think she just hasthis anxiety that if it is a bad break that nothing could be done. I'll paste your reply so that she can see that there may well be a surgical option if nec. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Warren Veteran

Default I'm the one with the poorly bunny!

Hi! I'm the owner with the poorly rabbit.

Big thanks to Capel for bringing our plight to your attention.

I have taken Inky in for his X ray this morning and they have said they will ring me before they do anything.

Capel is right, I am worried that if it is a bad break, that nothing can be done to help him.

I'm just hoping it is something fairly minor that can be fixed.

Hiya, welcome to RU I hope he's ok, I currently have a broken foot too so I can sympathise I'm off to the hospital tomorrow again

I hope they can help him

Default Re: I'm the one with the poorly bunny!

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyClover
    Hi! I'm the owner with the poorly rabbit.

Big thanks to Capel for bringing our plight to your attention.

I have taken Inky in for his X ray this morning and they have said they will ring me before they do anything.

Capel is right, I am worried that if it is a bad break, that nothing can be done to help him.

I'm just hoping it is something fairly minor that can be fixed.
    Hello

Hope you receive optomistic news from the Vets later

Janex

Warren Veteran

Default Update!

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support, it really means a lot.

Just got a call from the vet to say that he has dislocated a toe and also broken one of his toe joints. The good news is that they should heal up on their own, providing he stays restricted to his playhouse. Hopesully, he should be OK.

Default Re: Update!

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyClover
    Firstly, thank you to everyone who has offered advice and support, it really means a lot.

Just got a call from the vet to say that he has dislocated a toe and also broken one of his toe joints. The good news is that they should heal up on their own, providing he stays restricted to his playhouse. Hopesully, he should be OK.
    Thats good news
    He will be on the subs bench at footie for a few weeks though :wink:

Janex

Warren Veteran

Hi FC! A big welcome to the Forum....told you it was brill!!! I've never known a support system like it Glad to hear that everything's in hand(or foot!!) now
    Hilda