• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Hay online?

for all those wondering how long hay will last, dont forget it was all made last summer, so any hay you are feeding now will be at least 6 months old even if you only bought it yesterday :wink:
storage is the key, try not to store it tightly in plastic bags, if you have to use plastic bags fluff the hay up 1st so the air can circulate.
the best way is to leave it in the bale and take it off one slice at a time.
if you notice the hay has dust coming off of it, bin it.
if you notice it smells like tobacco, bin it.
dont store it directly on the floor as it can get a while mould growing on it. if that happens, bin it.
i have 2 bales here at the mo, i small bale of fine green hay that they are going mad for and scoffing like there is no tomorrow 8)
and a part of a huge d1000 bale that is coarser but full of interesting things that they like to pick out :lol:
(wild flowers/herbs etc)

Well, I'm convinced! 8) Is there anyone in the Sheffield area who would like to split a big order? Otherwise I think I'll just get the one bag for starters :D

Aww i'm in Tyne and Wear, looks like i'm getting one bag for starters aswell. Would hate to get the 5 pack and my fussy Buttons doesn't touch it :roll:

each bag is around 2 kg in weight (I Asked them)

so the 5x pack is about 10kg and the 10x pack is around 20kg.

As a std British bale is around 18-20kg basically you are paying about £30 for a bale in the 10 pack and over £20 for 1/2 bale in the 5 pack.

I know this is not a very nice thing to talk about on here, but i tried to by some lovely organic meadow hay from a farm a few weeks ago, was about to pay when i saw a sign saying 'fresh rabbit' i asked what it meant, and he shoots rabbits as they eat the hay and then sells them.
I am very interested in this hay... but can anyone confirm that they do not shoot rabbits on their land.... and have other more humane methods of keeping rabbits off their land... thanks...

Postman has just delivered my dust free hay....it smells great and I love the hessian sack it comes in....it looks so cool. I'm sure Stanley Rabbit will love it :wink: ....and he can play in the sack afterwards!!!

One of my buns Fudge doesn't eat hardly any hay :( ... I have recently found out that hes going to have problems with his teeth :(
Before he came here his diet wouldn't of been very good, I am really pleased to see him munching on this great hay :D ... My 3 buns really enjoy this hay and even their poos look so much healthier :D

CAN anyone confirm that they dont engage in inhumane pest control on their land, i.e. shooting rabbits..... as they eat the hay

oscarbunny said:
CAN anyone confirm that they dont engage in inhumane pest control on their land, i.e. shooting rabbits..... as they eat the hay

I would have thought that most farmers growing hay, whatever the source, will deal with wild rabbits in one way or another

Thank you so much for this! I have just ordered a bag. Hopefully the buns will love it, especially as Twix needs to cut down on her pellets and lose about 1lb :roll:

kayjay said:
oscarbunny said:

I would have thought that most farmers growing hay, whatever the source, will deal with wild rabbits in one way or another

You could ask the company directly if you go to their website. I think it is inevitable that most companies will have a problem with wild rabbits and will deal with them accordingly.

although i dont want to cause upset here :oops: i thought i would just mention that yes most farmers do control rabbit populations. where i live no one culled for a long time and i have seen so many myxi rabbits due to the high numbers in the past few years it is horrifying :cry:
also although shooting is not a pleasant thing to think about the other method is generally to gas the rabbits in their burrows :cry:
one more thing to mention and i know many wont like it is that if a rabbit population is culled by shooting the meat can be eaten, so at least the rabbit wont be 'wasted'.
i truly am not trying to upset anyone, and i know most of these things will not be pleasant to think about, but since some complete :censored: had the bright idea of introducing myxi, there really is a need in some places to cull rabbits regardless as to whether they are eating crops or not :cry:
sorry if this has offended :(

My hay came to day, it's huge and willl hopfully last longer the way Casper it's it. :lol: I gave some to Buttons and have been looking out the window at him and he's been eating little bits more. Compared to before he ate none, took 2 mouthfuls when i first put it in and it looks so much greener than the pet shops maybe thats why. I sure will be ordering ti one instead more expensive but worth it for Buttons to eat it :D

Did anyone find out if you can pick this up from them and save on the delivery costs? The farm where I used to get organic hay from doesn't sell it any more :cry: and this place is not far from Mums :D

luvabun said:
Did anyone find out if you can pick this up from them and save on the delivery costs? The farm where I used to get organic hay from doesn't sell it any more :cry: and this place is not far from Mums :D

Double O Denny to Triple O Jilly, if you manage to find out that you can pick up, can you grab me a bag too :wink: please :wink: :lol: :lol: I promise I wont tell anyone about the toy till :wink: :lol: :lol:

Denny said:
luvabun said:

Double O Denny to Triple O Jilly, if you manage to find out that you can pick up, can you grab me a bag too :wink: please :wink: :lol: :lol: I promise I wont tell anyone about the toy till :wink: :lol: :lol:
8.gif

don't mention the till and I'll think about it :lol: :lol:

Back