• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Hay online?

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I've just got a new bale of hay from a local source and whilst it's great for bedding it doesn't look the most tasty....

So what's the best value hay to order online for my buns and pigs?

The best hay i've found online is from lunnun. It comes in proper sacks(small) and is compressed, but when released from the sack it fills an 80ltre bucket. It smells absolutely fantastic, and both my buns go mad for it!!Can send you the url if you want.

capel said:
The best hay i've found online is from lunnun. It comes in proper sacks(small) and is compressed, but when released from the sack it fills an 80ltre bucket. It smells absolutely fantastic, and both my buns go mad for it!!Can send you the url if you want.

Ditto this. Capel passed this info onto me a while ago and I had my first delivery a few weeks ago. My bunnies love it, its very green and sweet smelling and not tough at all. Great for bedding and eating my buns say!!

Also delivery was great - less than 24 hours via the internet - dont think you can beat that!!!

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/ is the site.

capel said:

Could you keep it in the compessed bale if you wanted, or does it all spring out when you open the sack?

I already have bags of hat from the Hay Experts all over my house, I don't think o/h would be too impressed with a massive bin too. :lol:

Rallybunny said:
capel said:

Could you keep it in the compessed bale if you wanted, or does it all spring out when you open the sack?

I already have bags of hat from the Hay Experts all over my house, I don't think o/h would be too impressed with a massive bin too. :lol:

Is quite hard to pull hay out the sack if it is intact but I have a storage crate in the garden that i place the bale in and cut through the sack so it all springs out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kay from Bunnyhops uses a wheelie bin for hay as it's easy to move around to the hutches and sheds.

I've got no room indoors to store that amount of hay in one go. (Modern houses :roll:) If you keep outdoors in a crate or wheelie bin, doesnt it get damp over time? Plus if you only use it for feed and not bedding, it must last forever and lose quality?

So how to get smaller amounts of good hay?

I ordered five "sacks" of hay. I have two small bunnies.

I put four in my garden shed off the ground. I put one in my crate by the hutch. I use it mainly for feed, but have topped up a bit on bedding this last week as it has been cold. But as it is in a sealed airtight/watertight crate it does not get damp and the quality is the best hay I have ever seen.

I use one sack about every two weeks I am guessing and havent had a problem.

Muppet2 said:
I've got no room indoors to store that amount of hay in one go. (Modern houses :roll:) If you keep outdoors in a crate or wheelie bin, doesnt it get damp over time? Plus if you only use it for feed and not bedding, it must last forever and lose quality?

So how to get smaller amounts of good hay?

The hay experts are good for smaller bags of different hay, you can order a sample selection for your rabbits to try

fluffiebunnie said:
capel said:

Ditto this. Capel passed this info onto me a while ago and I had my first delivery a few weeks ago. My bunnies love it, its very green and sweet smelling and not tough at all. Great for bedding and eating my buns say!!

Also delivery was great - less than 24 hours via the internet - dont think you can beat that!!!

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/ is the site.

How long would one of the bales from this site last if only used to eat and how big is the bale itself, i'm a bit strapped for space, lol :?

Thanks capel, hopefully my picky buttons will eat more off this, he won't touch the stuff we have now although it's just pet shop bought.

The full sack is about 20"x14"x6". You don't need to decant it into a big 80 litre bin but it is quite tough to pull out. I managed for a month or two until I cleared a space for a storage bin.

Hilda, I've been sorting through the shed & noticed an unopened sac of hay off you is this the hay we are talking about ?
Only noticed it today :oops: :oops: when you came here last saturday I was more interested in Furby than anything else sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks capel, i'm going to order the one bale to try Buttons with first he just won't eat what we have ow. I eneded up putting mine in a black bag yesterday, trying to pull hay out ended with me having very sore hands :shock:

karen354 said:
Hilda, I've been sorting through the shed & noticed an unopened sac of hay off you is this the hay we are talking about ?
Only noticed it today :oops: :oops: when you came here last saturday I was more interested in Furby than anything else sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes, I left it with the rest of her stuff :D

Back