• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dobbin home

Dobbin

Mama Doe
I went to get him at 5, he is in the lounge with me waching children in need!!

He had a cuddle with me for over an hour he just laid on my lap being stroked.

My little man is so dopey - awww i feel so guilty.

The vet said not to use hay for about 7 days - just a bowl of eating suff. Any other tips?

Sue
xxxx

Awww, has he been de-plummed?

Just keep an eye on him and make sure he eats/wees/poops :D

Sounds like he is enjoying being pampered :)

You could use an old towel/blanket for bedding which should be more comfortable for him :)

ok i am getting a bit worried as he did one little poo about an hour ago he had a carrott top when he first got home but nothing since. We got home about 6ish.

Should i be worried?

Sue
xx

Dobbin said:
ok i am getting a bit worried as he did one little poo about an hour ago he had a carrott top when he first got home but nothing since. We got home about 6ish.

Should i be worried?

Sue
xx

Just let him rest and ensure he has some tastey Veggies available to tempt him to eat. He should have eaten and poo'd a bit overnight.
You only need to be concerned if there are no poos at all by tomorrow morning or if he is not eating at all.

Janex

If he likes carrots try him with some grated carrot, it was the only thing Pippa would eat after her op. He's probably still dozy from the anaesthetic, Pippa didn't poo until the next morning. I wouldn't worry too much overnight, he'll probably get to be back to more normal tomorrow.

Has his sneezing etc improved now??

Thank you - touch wood - the sneezing has gone.

He has lots of tasty things in his play pen - i shall be staying p all night to watch children in need so i can keep an eye on him till it ends and then i will probably end up sitting up all night!!

Sue
xx

So glad to hear that Dobbin got through his snip ok :D It may simply be that he wasn't snipped until later on in the day so is still drowsy after the anaesthetic. As Jane says - leave him lots of tasty treats (and water in a bowl, not just a bottle) and see how he is in the morning. If he hasn't eaten/pooped by the morning then I'd pop him back to the vets, but chances are he should be well on the way to feeling better by then.

Have you got a hay rack? Rather than give no hay all week, I'd be inclined to provide it in a rack or chopped up in the food bowl if you can, he could get out of the habit of eating it, so if it's in a rack or something it's unlikely to get into his wound but is still available for him to munch??

Back