• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range buns

Lanny

Warren Scout
Just wanted to ask those ofyou who have free range buns, do you leave them out when you go out to work/shopping etc.

Our two have been staying in the living room over the weekend as we have had guests but I hate shutting them in their cage and so just left them out when I went to town and they behaved perfectly, we are now thinking about this as a long term plan (currently they have a cage and penned area in our spare room.

Got to convince my o/h though :lol:

Max has free run of the house, except the spare bedroom my hubby uses as a music room, 24/7. Usually one of us is home but if we go out we leave him out. The house is as bunny proof as we can make it but he's not a destroyer! He tends to stay in the bedroom upstairs and eat our suitcase under the bed :roll: :D

Oakley has free range of the house when were in and she has the porch when were out, she never gets locked in her cage unless the front or back doors are going to be left open for a while X

Mango and Chutney have free range of the house when we're in, but I shut them in their own room when we go to work, because that's rabbit proofed (they can't bite though any power cables and hurt themselves). They do have a hutch and run in the room, but I don't shut them in that as they prefer to laze around on the rug.

wendy
xx

Rade and Bean are free range in the kitchen/diner when we're out and throughout the downstairs when we're in, although they mainly stick to 'their' room :)

I dreaded it when we left Beany out for the first time, but as long as everything is rabbit-proofed, you should be fine :wink:

hmm, maybe I could move their run into the living room. I quite like having them in there and feel awful if I have to shut them away. They mostly sleep during the day anyway, but knowing them they would destroy the flat if I left them for more than a couple of hours! :lol:

Maybe I could give them free run of the spare room and hallway/ I will have to discuss with o/h He thinks they secretly make plans to destroy our stuff when we are not there! :lol: :lol:

mine are free range in the garden

they have an outdoor hutch (which they never use)

they are supposed to live in the shed, but they stopped eating and got moody when shut in there, so I had to let them out (fifi started digging an escape tunnel too)

I've tried all sorts to keep them happy, but nothing less than freerange will suit them

Willow's free range when we're in but he does go in his pen when we're at work. He would probably be OK staying out all the time as he's not really destructive, but am just a bit worried as we're in a rented flat :)

Vicki x

Gus has his own bunny proofed room and Lola has the full run of the upstairs including our room but i do trust them both.

Frida stays in her pen when i'm at work as she is a nibbler and right now she's little enough to squeeze into difficult spaces. Bracken also stays in her pen when i'm at work but i think i will start leaving it open as she isnt much of a destroyer.

If everything is bunny-proofed it usually works out ok leaving bunnies out. I always used to think mine would trash the house but usually they sleep all day anyway.

Daisy is free range in my bedroom 24/7. The only time she's been destructive is when she was poorly, and decided to eat my skirting boards, door frame and chew the woodchip (rented accomodation :roll: ) off the wall :lol: . It really isn't much damage considering I have a mad rabbit running around all hours of the day :lol:. She uses her litter tray fine, only thing is you have to hoover all the time because hay really gets trodden in :lol: .

I woke up this morning to find her wedging her nose under my hand... I think she might have wanted nose rubs :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a few people on here that don't even have cages for their buns and the buns are 100% free range... can't remember who they are though - sorry!

Might be worth doing a search for some tips :D

me :lol: Amy is completely free range with no cage and she's usually pretty good :D

I am dropping her round my parents for the morning tomorrow though as I have the letting agents coming round sometime for an inspection and i've been having nightmares that she'll do something naughty while I'm at work!

If she gets bored she has been known to empty my recycling bag and throw the contents round the house, through her hay tub around the house, and occasionally empty her litter tray :shock: she's really good apart from that though :D

Me to!

Jack and Milly are both completely free range. They live in the dining room and never leave unless I physically put them in the living room. They destroy the wall paper, chairs, carpet but the room needs decorating. Once it is I don't know what will happen but OH said there will be a serious rethink of the situation!! :shock:

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies sorry I didn't get back sonner I had a day off work to try and get over a horrid chest infection.

We have decided to give the buns full run of the spare room and the hallway and see how they get on - after Fern's amazing burrowing act into the back of our old sofa bed last year I don't yet trust her with the expensive new one in the living room!! :lol:

Back