• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dobbin back to vets - anyone please help? - update

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Dobbin is on day five of going for daily injections for his sneezing, we went at 11am today. At about 6pm for the first time i noticed mucus around his nose. I immediately phoned the vets and they said instead of seeing the nurse for the injection in the morning to see a vet. I am so worried - he is having daily injections but he seems to be getting worse. He is eating and pooing fine.

Thank you - i am sorry to be a nuiscience

Sue
xx

I'm sorry I can't help, but am sending some healing vibes xxx

Might be worth using the search function and type in snuffles or sneezing.

Good luck xx

Oh no, I hope he's ok. He's not allergic to anything is he?

Sending ((((hugs)))) from me and Pippa

ohh - that doesn't sound so good. Hopefully the vet will be able to put your mind at rest.

If it's any help, Donut got the sneezles when she was a young bun (4/5months old), but after some medication (sorry - i can't remember what it was now!) she stopped. She would have a day of sneezles every so often, but that was it.

I hope dobbin's ok!

Awwww Sue, please don't feel that you're being a nuisance! We are here as a community to help and support each other, it makes me sad that you feel a nuisance by asking questions :cry:

Did you notice what colour the mucus under his nose was? Sometimes it is clear, sometimes it is bright white, sometimes green etc. This could give a clue as to what is causing it. It does take a few days for the antibiotics to 'kick in' properly so I wouldn't panic too much that you have seen some mucus today.

Do you know what antibiotic he is having at the moment? Can you ask the vet when you're there tomorrow? If he's been on the same one for some time now and it's not getting better, it might be time to try a different type.

Please try not to worry too much, he's only a youngster so this condition has not got chronic and should clear up ok with the right antibiotic.

It is probably worth checking if there is anything potentially he could be allergic to as well; maybe change the type of litter you are using for example.

Good luck with little Dobbin, I'm sure he'll be fine. xxx

he had one type of antibiotic by injection for three days and we then went on to oral - the sneezing did not clear up, so the vet has put him on a different type of antibiotic by injection. This is the first time i have seen mucus since the first time two weeks ago. It is either clear or white - he has white fur around his nose - that is why i am not sure! I know it is probably nothing to worry about but i am so worried. I have cut out straw and sawdust, just use hay, vet bed, wooden cat litter and care fresh.

I apologise to my OH when i ask questions - my old job used to fine me 2p everytime i apologised!! Used to cost me a fortune!! lol

Thank you for the healing vibes - i so want my boy to be better.

Sue
xx

Have the vets tested the mucous to find out what particular bacteria is causing it? They might be able to prescribe a better antibiotic if they do. Hope Dobbin feels better soon.

well this morning there was no mucus at all. The vet thinks that it is a good sign that the antibiotics are clearing it and so the mucus is coming out.

Thank you for your kind words and support, we have another injection tommorrow and then an injection and vet consultation on Thursday!

Sue
xx

Back