• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfred now engaged :-) (Update)

Apache

Mama Doe
Introductions didn't go well this morning, the other rabbit turned on him, after his 4th attempt to hump her, and it turned into a huge scrap..

:cry:

Back to the drawing board..

Jx

What a shame. Is it Alfred who doesn't get on with the ladies or is it more the ladies objecting to being humped? Also, why is he humping if he's been neutered - don't they lose the urge?

kayjay said:
why is he humping if he's been neutered - don't they lose the urge?

Humping is a sign of dominance as well as sexual friskiness. When you first introduce rabbits they use it to show the other rabbit that they are in charge. If the other bun accepts this, then great, but sometimes both rabbits want to be in charge and this can result in fights! It can also take 6 weeks or so for the hormones to wear off fully so some of the humping may well be hormonal.

Every now and then my neutered pairs hump each other (including the girls humping the boys!) It's not frequent but it certainly does still happen!

I hope you find a suitable soul-mate for Alfred very soon!

Thanks, I've just checked again with the RSPCA and they have said it is 8 weeks since he was neutered..

I've arranged to take him to see Maddie who belogs to Kayj tomorrow..

So fingers crossed for that...

(hopefully Maddie will ignore his bald patch!).

He is such a laid back rabbit normally, and a poppet to handle, he just seems to get a bit OTT when he sees a "lady"

Jx

Fingers crossed Maddie is a nice submissive bunny who doesn't mind being humped :lol:

Good luck tomorrow

Kathryn xx

Thanks, she seems to be back to normal apart from refusing to come out of her indoor cage - she won't go in her carrier and I don't want to force her incase I hurt her and she won't be picked up. I've even removed the bars and left it open but, no, still won't come out! We're waiting for the rain to stop to finish the outside run so she can go in the shed.

I was planning on a friend for her, but after reading about Alfred's problems I'm worried now! She's not the most submissive of bunnies I don't think. Still, I can only try, like you're doing. I hope you can find a bun that gets on with Alfred as I think they look much happier with a friend don't they? Have a chat with him in the morning and tell him to be nicer :lol:

I'm pleased she is feeling better, I can't beleive what a wet August it has been - but I guess it is better than the heat wave we had...

Maybe she feels a bit too sore to leap out of the cage?

I've been surprised at how difficult it has been to get him a friend, and I am quite thankful that I left it to the experts to do.

I've had words with Alfred again, and told him that he should be nice to Maddie, sort of court her with wine and chocolates first before leaping on her.

Jx

I've just read the thread on RIN about Maddie being rehomed... I'm so happy for you and Alfred! Hope they are both very happy together :D :D

Just read kay's post, so pleased for you. She's beautiful, and Alfred obviously thought so too, although maybe it was the chat you had with him that worked - tell him to keep up the wine and choccies!

ps piccies please :wink:

Thank you everyone :D :D

Fingers crossed, it all seems to be going really well, there has been some touching of noses, and then one of them will run off, but it feels quite balanced between them, also, when I had to go in the run to clean it, she ran to Alfred..

Anyway here are some pics (please excuse the quality - taken with phone).

Tbell.jpg

Not a very good shot, but you can just make out Alfred all stretched out, and Tinkerbell (hope you don't mind Kay & Karen, but she loves tapping the bell at the end of the kabob, and it is such a pretty name for a very pretty rabbit)

TA.jpg

Thank you Kay & Karen for letting me have her, fingers crossed, she won't make his bald patch bigger :D

Jx

Back