Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abortion in rabbits

Wise Old Thumper

When I worked in a GP's surgery and before the 'morning after pill' became available some young women used abortion as their means of contraception. Ok they were always done very early on but I know of one person who had had SIX terminations and she was only 24.

There are always going to be exceptional situations where abortion really is the only option, in Humans and in Animals. But my PERSONAL opinion is overcrowding in Rescues is not a good enough reason to terminate an advanced pregnancy in a rabbit.

Janex
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

So when space runs out, if you're anti-abortion would you euthanise the babies once they're born or unrelated adult rabbits already in your care? Or you could let the mum raise the babies and then euthanise her and give her space to one of her offspring.

It sucks, it shouldn't be that way but that's a real life choice some rescue staff have to make. There is a limit to the amount of rabbits you can just 'squeeze one more in' with.

I think unless you are or have been in such a situation you really cannot judge others for terminating a pregnancy be it human or animal. As with many things, if you aren't directly involved you cannot possibly know how hard a decision it is to make.
    I have worked in a kennels where i've taken older small furries home (with limited funds & NO room so they had to be kept in small cages until another rescue could take them) because a pregnant one has come in & space is needed & the manager has decided to euthanase the older long termers because she knew the youngsters once born would get a home quicker. Thats worse than terminating the pregnancy as far as im concerned.
    I also have a couple of friends whose parents resent & one even despises them purely because they were an unwanted pregnancy, both friends are messed up in the head & it will haunt them forever.
    (I know no one actually has judged yet, but just thought I'd add this!)

I took biology A-level and we dealt with human abortion at its most clinical.

It horrified all of us. Not abortion in general, but the later-stage abortions that are legal. The thing is, where do you draw the line? As medical technology improves and premature babies that survive get younger and younger, does this mean the upper limit for abortions should get earlier in response? Should it be when the heart starts beating? Should it be when a pain response is possible?

I personally don't see a need for late-term abortions unless there is serious medical danger to the mother if her pregnancy were to continue. You MUST have worked out you were pregnant before 3 months, so why have an abortion any later than this?

I was adopted but I'm still pro-choice. Immediately after my birth mother had me, she got pregnant again because of rubbish contraceptive advice (i.e. she thought she was being safe but in fact she wasn't). She had a very early-term abortion (I think 2 months-ish), and I'm glad she did. Imagine going through 2 unwanted and unplanned pregnancies before the age of 17!

AMETHYST

>>>>>>> @ailisethebunny <<<<<<<

At the Bridge: Bunnies Miles, Miffy, China, Rocket, Benny, Domino, Roan; Piggies Hurley, Starla, Ifalna, Rikku, Garnet, Jack, Rose; Donna; Hammies Yuna, Rinoa, Tiny, Middly, Bubba Joe, Cait Sith, Wommy, Gizmo; Mice Vincent, Irvine, Cloud, Rydia, Rosa, Beatrix, Freya, Eiko, Ruby.

Quote Originally Posted by leanne
    I personally am for abortion in people & animals if it is a neccessity for emotional, financial or health reasons.
    I feel that it is the womans right to choose whether she feels ready to go through with a pregnancy or not, unwanted or not. Some women (a small minority) do use it as a means of contraception which is awful but at the end of the day they will have to live with the guilt for the rest of their lives.

In animals I think we as their carers have to make the decision, it may not be right morally for some people but I personally would have an early pregnancy aborted in any animal if its likely the babies will struggle to find a decent home. I'd rather they weren't brought into this world if I couldn't guarantee a caring home for life. Which is virtually never in my opinion!
    But I have to say I wouldn't abort if the animal was in the last trimester of pregnancy.
    Ive was a vet nurse for 10 years so have been involved in alot & it isn't nice but at the same time you have to think of the future of those homeless animals.

Neuter all the way & hassle ANYONE who has a pet that isn't! I have no shame doing it! lol
    I agree 100%

www.kitschkitty.co.uk
    Kitsch Kitty's Unique Boutique - Custom creations designed to delight
    *25% discount for all forum members quote ANGEL11*

Wise Old Thumper

As I said in my earlier post I don't have a problem with early abortions at all- that is not to say I am dismissing it as a trivial issue as it must be a very difficult, heartbreaking decision to make, but it is most certainly the right choice for many people.

The later stages of pregnancy are more of a grey area, but I am still not against it, I think its a really difficult issue and is not one where there is black and white, right or wrong.

Wise Old Thumper

i would rather not comment on human abortions , other than to say each case should be looked at seperatly , before a decision is made . i an not anti abortion , but neither am i pro abortion in the true sense . it should not be an automatic right , but Sometimes it should be an option .

As for buns .
    i could never ask a vet to abort end of term babies . i would only do it if it was on a vets medical advice to save the mum .
    i would however have an emergency spay done in the early stages .

Take Maisie and Grace . those of you who read the posts about their dead litters will know that it was not just upsetting for us but also for the poor buns involved . they were not in good enough condition to carry healthy babies and as a result Grace is still not recovered after giving birth to a dead litter .

we realy regret not sending these two buns for emergency spays .

Angie

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin
    So when space runs out, if you're anti-abortion would you euthanise the babies once they're born or unrelated adult rabbits already in your care? Or you could let the mum raise the babies and then euthanise her and give her space to one of her offspring.

It sucks, it shouldn't be that way but that's a real life choice some rescue staff have to make. There is a limit to the amount of rabbits you can just 'squeeze one more in' with.
    Maybe I am not qualified to have an opinion.
    But I DO and it is 100% AGAINST late abortions in Rabbits unless the life of the Doe is at risk
    I just could not be any part of what I PERSONALLY consider the delibertate killing of healthy kits.
    Very early emergency spaying is another issue, although my PERSONAL anti-abortion views are that I could not do it.
    We can only act on our own beliefs which may well be very different from another individual in the same situation. Euthanising the kits once born or the Doe to make room is just not in my mindset.
    As stated I am not speaking from experience, just from strongly held personal beliefs My comments are just expressing those beliefs and not critising or judging those whose views differ.

Janex
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

An interesting thread.

Having just today got a call from someone who has found three buns and a guinea in a small wood near us, and now having a doe here that has been running with two bucks.

I'm afraid that on tuesday I will be having a chat with the vet re whether he would advise an emergency spay.

My rabbit hutches are now all full, I don't have the space for a litter to be born, but if my vet tells me that she's too far gone then I will have no choice than to let her have them. On the other hand if not then she will be booked for a spey.
    Sometimes we have no choice in these decissions though. We once had a doe come in that had never been with another rabbit, she was sent for a routine neuter only for them to find her days away from giving birth when they opened her up.Those babies where raised by the vet nurse I won't go into details as to how that came about but lets say the nurse was out of order and those rabbits should have come home with their mother.

I will only take the chance with neutering up to 2.5 weeks after mating after that there is too much risk of the doe haemorrhaging during the spey and her life being at risk aswell.

I do understand what some of you are saying but there are too many rabbits out there and too few funds to go amounst them that's the truth so as Tam says what choice do some of us have. If I had a money tree or someway of caring for them propably then it may be a different matter.

Having said that I have a home to empty of 15-20 rabbits that have all been in-breeding. None of them are sexed propably so when their time comes the does as they come in are going straight for emergency speys.Sad but for their own good it needs to be done.
    Tracy
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig Boarding and Bonding
    http://www.rngp.org

My next fundraiser https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...ource=Facebook

Warren Scout

Just to add to Tam and a few others points have a look at this...

Please read it all before you pass comment, as it will strike home more if you do!

http://www.rngp.org/index-never.shtml
    Shaun
    Rabbits and Guinea Pigs needing forever homes

Happy to allow adoptions nationally as long as criteria is met.
    http://www.rngp.org