• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bounty has had a nose bleed!

Tonight, when I went out to feed my buns, I noticed that Bounty, my Ermine Rex had some dried blood coming from his nose :shock: :shock: :?

Has anybody had any similar experience? It's not something that has happened before, and since his partner; Sasha died, Bounty has lived alone. Albeit, quite subdued :cry: :(

Carol xxx

How is Bounty today Carol?
Sorry, did not see this yesterday.
Is there any more bleeding?
Maybe a Vet check is in order. Buns can get nasal polyps but I dont think they bleed :?
Is he a sneezy Bun? If so maybe he burst a small blood vessel in his nasal passage after a vigorous sneezing episode.
Hope he is OK?
Just another thought, is he VHD vaccinated?
Was Sasha?

Janex

Yes Sorry bunny land but i would ask the same question as Jane is he VHD vacced??

Again as Jane says they can sometimes burst a wee blood vessel when they sneez alot XX I do hope that he is ok XX

Nope, white snot for bunnies :)

You're sure it was coming from the nostral and noy a scratch of the nose?

Tam

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your responses and ideas. Bounty is fine in himself and he hasn't had a nose bleed since and it definitely came from his nasal passage.

All my buns have had their jabs and are all up to date with them, poor Sasha was vaccinated too.

I took Bounty for a check-up at the vets today, but they couldn't find anything wrong either :shock: :? :?

He is a little subdued since we lost Sasha, but he's not off his food or anything. The vet could even see where the blood had been (he's completely white and it's sometimes difficult to remove stains from him).

It may infact have been from a sneezing fit, as he has suffered from Pasteurella abscesses in the past. I've been checking on them all constantly throughout the day since I've been off work. I'm keeping them all cool with ice cold water bottles and keeping all the buns in the shade with plenty of cold water to drink and their usual bunny food.

Hopefully, it doesn't happen again, but I'll be keeping a close eye on Bounty.

Carol xxx

re VHD immunisations

When I took my 2 baby rabbits to the vets to get their vaccinations, she said that they did not need to be vaccinated for VHD as it was very very uncommon in scotland and almost unheard of in this area. I am still a little concerned tho - should I insist on them having it, or take the vets advice?

Re: re VHD immunisations

lucyj said:
When I took my 2 baby rabbits to the vets to get their vaccinations, she said that they did not need to be vaccinated for VHD as it was very very uncommon in scotland and almost unheard of in this area. I am still a little concerned tho - should I insist on them having it, or take the vets advice?

Yes you DO need to get them vaccinated. Phill lost 10 Buns to VHD last year :cry: :cry: Phill is in DUMFRIES.
I am sure she would want me to tell you this to make sure you get your Buns vaccinated. Perhaps you should tell that Vet too.....

Carol, I am relieved that the beautiful Bounty appears to be OK now :D

Janex

The trouble with VHD is often the rabbit dies within 24 hours with no symptoms so the vets never get to hear about it. It usually only comes to their attention when someone has a group of rabbits that die as then it's obvious it's something contagious not natural causes.

My rabbit Cupid is all white, too. He also got a bloody nose. Can they get a bloody nose from bumping something hard with it or maybe it got dried out from hot weather? He seems ok, but I just want to make sure.

For clarity for anyone else reading this thread the OP is from 2006. New posts relate to the question asked by 'missninjakitty' -Post 11 onwards

My rabbit Cupid is all white, too. He also got a bloody nose. Can they get a bloody nose from bumping something hard with it or maybe it got dried out from hot weather? He seems ok, but I just want to make sure.

An injury could cause blood loss from the nose, but without being able to examine your Rabbit it's impossible to say what may have occurred. There are other possible causes. A Vet check is what I would recommend as blood in or around the nose is obviously the sign of some sort of problem.

Last edited:
Back