Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tear Duct Flush.......

Banned

Default Tear Duct Flush.......

Hi Folks,

My small BIB boy Louie had a dental, tear duct flush and neuter on the 31st May. The vet suspected his tear duct had a kink in it due to his over grown teeth. (Previous owners vet said there was nothing wrong! )

All most a week and a half after the op he is still getting a white discharge from they eye. I am bathing the eye daily and applying Fucithalmic (sp?) eye cream.

The vet said loads of pus etc came out when she flushed the duct but she didn’t mange to get it all out as there was a blockage. I think she was hoping that with the majority of the mess out, the tear duct would start to work properly again and the blockage would naturally shift.

It was mentioned they could try another tear duct flush if he was still getting a weepy eye.

I’m unsure what to do? Shall I leave him a while longer to see if it will clear up itself or take him back for another flush?

He seems happy enough. Eating, drinking and toileting fine. My big concern in this weather is his weepy eye will attract flies etc.

Louise

Is your vet sure it's just a blockage louise?? My old bun Lilly only had half a tear duct and pasturella in her eye so the puss couldn't actually go anywhere, she had meds and daily cleaning and when it got really bad she had it flushed, i think it was flushed three times in total before she died X
    Dash, Scooter, Missy, Max, Sooty, Jamima, Winston, Reuben, Foxglove, Ron and Smidgen
    Goodnight Hester my Special bun xxx

''It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.'' - Bridget Jones
    www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk
    http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk/

Banned

She seemed fairly convinced it was a blockage. Apparently when they applied some force (no idea how they flush a duct! ) it wouldn’t shift.

Louise

Yeh this is what Lilly had, did they or can you see any discharge coming down his nose? Even if the duct is blocked there should still be some stuff coming down his nose as William had a blocked tear duct due to is frint teeth and my vet couldn't shift the blockage after she removed the teeth but stuff still came down his nose a wee bit. It did sort it's self after about 2 weeks and now he has no problems though X
    Dash, Scooter, Missy, Max, Sooty, Jamima, Winston, Reuben, Foxglove, Ron and Smidgen

''It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.'' - Bridget Jones

Banned

Apparently when she flushed it stuff was coming out of his nose but he's never had any discharge from it with us.

Louise

Hmm it may go down within a few weeks then Louise, Williams took about 2 weeks before it cleared after his teeth were removed X

Wise Old Thumper

If the pus was insitu for some time the tissue of the duct may have thickened. When this happens there is a permanent drainage problem. It can be managed by 2x daily eye bathing and massaging around duct to clear the gunk. Also if Bun is bonded the other Bun will often assist with eye cleaning
    If the tooth roots have already started to press on the duct it is also a chronic condition needing daily care.
    I have had several Buns whose nasolacrimal ducts have been flushed whilst Bun was still conscious. So if it needed to be done again your Vet may be able to do it without the need for another GA.

Janex
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Warren Scout

Fern has a constant problem with her eye now, it weeps all the time and about once a month she gets a blockage and it all swells up and the pus has to be forced out and bathed.

You just have to keep a close eye on it and like Jane said bathe it regularly. She has a partner though who cleans it very regularly for her.

We use sterile saline to clean it out, the kind of stuff you get in human eye wash bottles.

Banned

Thanks for all the advice. :wink:

Louie is currently living with three other chaps.

Will keep bathing the eye daily and if its the same in a week I think I will pop him back to the vet so they can have another look at it.

Louise

Young Bun

Hi all!

I had a similar problem with my bun, Holly. She had tear duct wash after tear duct wash with no improvement in her symptoms.

I took her to another vet who right away took a culture from her nose ... discovered the antibiotics I'd been forcing down here were ineffective.

My advice - go back to the vet and suggest a culture is taken..

Good luck