• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honeysuckle... Ok or not??

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
I have done a search and I can't find anywhere that says whether Honeysuckle is ok or not for the buns.

Anybody enlighten me??

Thanks

Cheers! I guess tommorrows job is going to be cut it all down!
It's only a very straggly bit of it anyway

i googled it and cant find any thing about the leaves being toxic, the berries are though.
the latin name is 'lonicera periclymenum' (the native honey suckle) if you want to have another search. if you have the evergreen 'lonicera japonica' that IS toxic.
hope that helps a little :D
if you want to keep the plant (bee's love it) you should be able to surround the bottom few feet of it with chicken wire to prevent nibbling by buns, then train the rest of the plant up a fence or wall and simply prune off any bits that start hanging down to a buns level. if you are not sure though, it is probably best to dig it out. if it is the native honey suckle you will have to check a few feet either side of the main plant too as if a stem had touched the ground for a little while it will probably have taken root!

Thanks for that info. :thumb:

It's just a very straggley bit that is in the soon to be moved rockery so I'm not bothered about getting rid of it. I just wanted to check as Sooty made a beeline for it when they were out in the garden today and yesterday.

I have been breeding Lion Heads for a few years now and I have a large Honey suckle hedge running across the garden where they are free to roam.. They have always eaten it and never had any probs even the young ones..

Sent from my CUBOT_X18_Plus using Tapatalk

Never had any probs
4248a4eea53392d7b2e974030abfbc33.jpg

Sent from my CUBOT_X18_Plus using Tapatalk

Back