Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

We have 2 rabbits. One male, one female. The female we have had only 3 weeks. Our male is covered by Pet Plan Insurance and our new female is on a one month free trial policy. We cannot afford 2 insurance policies. We were thinking of cancelling and just saving say £10 a month hoping that this would cover any potential vet bills. Is this enough? What are the options? Both rabbits are in good health and have had recent vet checks and full vax. They are both Rex's and are 8-9 months old.

Wise Old Thumper

some people on this forum appear to insure their rabbits. personally i havent taken out insurance however i do save some money each month. The only risk is if something major happened that they needed a large amount of expensive treatment for that you could have a large bill, less than what you have saved but that is the risk that you take. My sister did the same thing with her dog.. the first year he had 2 vet visits for treatments which cost quite a bit but since then nothing.. fingers crossed. Im afraid it is a personal choice tho
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

I had 10 buns (now 11 oops!), & insurance for the 10 is £75 per month. I'm taking advantage of the 2 free months (while I'm bonding ) then cancelling & setting up a £50/mth direct debit into a savings account. If I have no rabbit emergencies, I can use it to buy shoes
    I am doing various events throughout 2015 to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society.
    You can sponsor me on the link below:

http://www.justgiving.com/owner-emai.../Angela-Weeks3

Thanks

I have 4 bunnies, all with PetPlan insurance. I don't mean to be funny here but can you really not afford £18 or so a month for the insurance? I'm just thinking if you have that little money what then happens when one needs expensive vet treatment? It could run into the hundreds or even thousands, which if it happened (heaven forbid) next month or even next year you wouldn't have saved enough money for the treatment.

I'm not criticising, I hope you haven't taken it that way. I'm just trying to present you with options so you're aware of everything that could happen. :-)

AMETHYST

>>>>>>> @ailisethebunny <<<<<<<

At the Bridge: Bunnies Miles, Miffy, China, Rocket, Benny, Domino, Roan; Piggies Hurley, Starla, Ifalna, Rikku, Garnet, Jack, Rose; Donna; Hammies Yuna, Rinoa, Tiny, Middly, Bubba Joe, Cait Sith, Wommy, Gizmo; Mice Vincent, Irvine, Cloud, Rydia, Rosa, Beatrix, Freya, Eiko, Ruby.

Warren Scout

I'm havnig the same debate with myself now, especially as planning on getting a friend for Bob I couldn't afford to pay big vets bills for 2 buns, though my budget is really tight as it is.

I came across this site http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/pet-cover.htm which seems to be cheaper than petplan (works out to be about £6.75 per month per bun) and I was wondering if anyone had heard of them./used them before? I haven't compared the covers fully for an initial scan seemed favourable, particually as the excess is more for petplan.

I've not heard of them but it looks like it's underwritten by AXA so could be ok. Most non-pet plan things do stop paying out after 12 months whereas pet plan cover conditions for life, so do check the smallprint and make a decision based on what you find. Also check what it says about dental work - one of the most common rabbit complaints. I think with petplan you are only covered for dental work if a vet has done a dental examination within so many months of taking out cover...not sure what constitutes a "dental examination" for that purpose - whether a wiggly bun with one of those things to peer into the mouth is ok, or whether they would insist upon x-ray/proper exam under anaesthetic etc.

I don't have mine insured, in this postcode it's £9 a month each with a £60 excess, so I've gone with the risk and the savings account (mortgage offset account so at least it's being useful!)

Yuh I have done the same for my one, shes with petplan ... 10 pound a month and 60 poundexcess.... ok shee may never get ill but I would rather be safe than very sorry

FREE THE REW 8!

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_K
    I'm havnig the same debate with myself now, especially as planning on getting a friend for Bob I couldn't afford to pay big vets bills for 2 buns, though my budget is really tight as it is.

I came across this site http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/pet-cover.htm which seems to be cheaper than petplan (works out to be about £6.75 per month per bun) and I was wondering if anyone had heard of them./used them before? I haven't compared the covers fully for an initial scan seemed favourable, particually as the excess is more for petplan.
    We are with that one - it's actually Exotic Direct or something like that. We debated over insurance as my boyf is mega careful and I am a little more prepared to take a chance. Anyway, I gave into my O/H and we bought that pet insurance.

Just 2 weeks later (on the day that the insurance policy took affect (they give you 2 weeks incubation period where you can't claim)) we had to take Albert to the vets as he was weeing everywhere and had lost a lot of weight. The vet was very worried and totally baffled as to what was wrong with him as he seemed so well in himself. However she then did £1000 worth of test on him (x-rays, ultra sounds, blood cultures, urine cultures, blood tests and urine tests). Whether she would have done all the tests if he hadn't been insured, who knows. But I thanked my lucky stars that we had bought insurance. It turns out that it was E.Cuniculi.

The other side to that story is that 2 weeks after we claimed for Albert's treatment we got a letter back saying that as it was behavioural they will not pay up. We of course went mad and called the vets. The vet laughed and said that he would sort it - I think it must be quite common to have trouble with insurers. We havent heard back from Exotic direct for 3 weeks now since our claim was reopened so hopefully that's a sign...

Anyway, at least with insurance there is hope of getting the money back. If we had just been saving £10 - £20 a month we would have only saved £30-£60 which is nothing when you are faced with a bill of £1000. So my advise would be to get insurance...hopefully it will be wasted money and you wont have to use it but if you do, then it does give you a bit of financial relief. Will keep everyone posted as to whether we do actually get the money back!!!!

I would recommend you find a way to pay for insurance - i am talking from experience.

I have not taken insurance out yet but will be doing this week because Leon had to have an operation on Sunday night which cost £300. That's 2 and a half years of saving if you're only saving £10 a month!!!

Warren Scout

I would say get insurance to take the worry out of finding the money for vets bills as they can be very expensive. I couldn't insure my bunny as I took him to the vets when I'd only had him two days as he had a weepy eye and then when I applied for insurance, Petplan put so many exclusions on the policy that the vet said he was excluded from almost everything he was likely to get so it wasn't worthwhile. I have spent probably about £2,000 on vets bills in 5 and a half years, this month it was £190 and the dearest month was £260 and it does put a strain on the finances when you're not expecting it! Also it seems to be that some problems such as teeth don't start happening until the bunny is a bit older, mine was fine until about 2 years old. I would definitely insure any future pets for peace of mind.