• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Duphapen

Marie sorry you're having a hard time getting Alfie treated...try ringing Gamston Vets in Nottingham and ask if Anne Redman is available for advice as she's been recommended for problem with a bun...they may let you book in to see her..she's very good with bunsters..my fosterer has been using her for ages.....and it's not too far to travel

elve said:
I don't think any animal who is eating and generally OK with life should be PTS, even if they have cancer - If they aren't in pain then why not let them enjoy what little time they have?

Abscesses aren't the end of the world, but if they aren't cured they can 'seed' to other areas and be an ongoing problem - However if the rabbit isn't suffering pain then it's probably more of a problem for the carer - they can live with them, although it will shorten their life as in the end they will suffer and need to be PTS.

If they're not suffering, I say let them enjoy life, even if just for a year or whatever :)
The type of absess alfie has will never be cured,where it is it cannot be removed,i just want something to stop the puss build up
what do you mean buy in the end they will suffer?
Alfie has had this absess for a year,he is rougly around 3 years old now.
Thing is how do i know if he is in pain,he cannot tell me :(

Re: .

honeybunny said:
Marie sorry you're having a hard time getting Alfie treated...try ringing Gamston Vets in Nottingham and ask if Anne Redman is available for advice as she's been recommended for problem with a bun...they may let you book in to see her..she's very good with bunsters..my fosterer has been using her for ages.....and it's not too far to travel
Thanks jill

Thats what I always worry about to be honest! Rabbits don't often show they are in pain until they are in really bad pain because of them being prey animals. Although I think if you have a close relationship with a bun, which I think you have, I think you would just know that he was not right. We do use Duphapen injections at our surgery but have only done so in the last 6 months or so. Rabbits can die from using it, but really I don't think the risk is much greater than with another antibiotic, just using precautions like giving a probiotic inbetween dosing helps. I used these injections when Heidi had an abscess in her eye socket when she had her eye removed and she coped fine, didn't have any gastrointestinal signs at all and the abscess cleared. There is also a risk with giving these injections that they can get an abscess form at the site of injection. Personally I would use them again in my buns as it helped greatly with little Heidi! Hope you find a vet to help you soon.

Lind80 said:
There is also a risk with giving these injections that they can get an abscess form at the site of injection.
Surely a VERY SMALL risk if sterile proceedures are adhered to....??? Jane and Buns xx

Lind80 said:
Thats what I always worry about to be honest! Rabbits don't often show they are in pain until they are in really bad pain because of them being prey animals. Although I think if you have a close relationship with a bun, which I think you have, I think you would just know that he was not right. We do use Duphapen injections at our surgery but have only done so in the last 6 months or so. Rabbits can die from using it, but really I don't think the risk is much greater than with another antibiotic, just using precautions like giving a probiotic inbetween dosing helps. I used these injections when Heidi had an abscess in her eye socket when she had her eye removed and she coped fine, didn't have any gastrointestinal signs at all and the abscess cleared. There is also a risk with giving these injections that they can get an abscess form at the site of injection. Personally I would use them again in my buns as it helped greatly with little Heidi! Hope you find a vet to help you soon.
You say rabbits can die from using this,is the risk just gut problems or are there others?

It isn't to do with sterility, as far as I know and I'm not 100% on this its just from memory, it needs to be injected into the muscle and then it won't form an abscess but it can do if injected subcutaneously.

I think if you use a probiotic aswell than this certainly decreases the risk. Thats what I did with Heidi.

Some info on DANGEROUS antibiotics http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm Note PENICILLIN CAN be given BY INJECTION but carries a risk of enteritis as do other antibiotics. Rather than giving probiotics there is anecdotal evidence that giving a drug called CHOLESTYRAMINE(Questran) whist giving 'high risk' antibiotics can protect against a serious gastric enteritis called ENTEROTOXAEMIA. Questran comes in a powder that is mixed with water. It is what is used to treat hoomans with high cholesterol. With bunsters the Questran is meant to 'mop up' the dangerous gastric bacteria which if allowed to multiply can lead to the fatal enterotoxaemia. Here are some 'OK' antibiotics http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm Jane and Buns xx

As I have said before, I have never had a problem using Duphapen. An average dwarf lop size bunny should have 0.25ml injected SUBCUT daily. I have used it on my bunnies for absesses and persistant infections, never had any side effects or diahrrea and every time it has worked very well. Billy has had 3 jaw abscesses and a tooth root abscess, the 3rd time I used Duphapen and he hasnt had one back since. You can read about him here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=11656&highlight=
Lucy and Winston my 2 french lop cross house bunnies get reoccuring sinus infections and after experimenting with several different meds we found Duphapen to be the only one that kept it under control. They will go several weeks without treatment then need to go back on it for a few days. Without it they get very sore, crusty, pussy discharge from their eyes and nose. I always give them probiotics at the same time.

Cheryl

Have you asked about Ultrapen, the one my vets prescribed for my rabbits? It has to be given once every three days, and Stephanie said it is very useful for keeping rabbits with facial abcesses going. She spoke of one that survived two years on it. None of mine have facial abcesses, but she has prescribed it for snuffles and for Lace's ear infections. Lace has been on it for 6 months now and has the biggest healthiest poos for her size of any of my rabbits. - This is with probiotic of course, they are necessary.

Back