• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Duphapen

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Well took alfie for his post op check
And now a 3rd vet has told me they wont prescribe Duphapen,this vet actaully said it kills rabbits :shock: ,i said funny that as i know at least 2 people who have used it with sucsess,he said baytril is stronger than Duphapen and that isnt strong enough to kill the puss (yeah whatever)
He said just leave him untill you feel he has no quailty of life,im sorry but i cant do that,why wont anybody help us :(
i feel so upset

bluebunny said:
And now a 3rd vet has told me they wont prescribe Duphapen,this vet actaully said it kills rabbits :shock: ,i said funny that as i know at least 2 people who have used it with sucsess,he said baytril is stronger than Duphapen and that isnt strong enough to kill the puss (yeah whatever)
He said just leave him untill you feel he has no quailty of life,im sorry but i cant do that,why wont anybody help us :(
i feel so upset

maybe its time to sort another vets marie, my vet is bloody expensive but tend to do everything by the book!

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

maybe its time to sort another vets marie, my vet is bloody expensive but tend to do everything by the book!
Eve i have been to 3 practices now :?

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

well you could try a fourth, :D but can all the vets you are attending be wrong?

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

well you could try a fourth, :D but can all the vets you are attending be wrong?
Yes im looking into it
Well im starting to wonder :? but then how come other vets are prescribing it and there rabbits have recovered,and havent died?

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

Yes im looking into it
Well im starting to wonder :? but then how come other vets are prescribing it and there rabbits have recovered,and havent died?

dont know marie maybe hes just not the right candidate for that drug its seems rather odd that three would refuse to give a drug that a bunny required.

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

Yes im looking into it

dont know marie maybe hes just not the right candidate for that drug its seems rather odd that three would refuse to give a drug that a bunny required.
Well at least one of these rabbits has the same absess as alfie,caused by the same probs,its hard to hear a vet say,just leave him untill evently he has to be pts,when something could actually help

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

Yes im looking into it

Well at least one of these rabbits has the same absess as alfie,caused by the same probs,its hard to hear a vet say,just leave him untill evently he has to be pts,when something could actually help

not sure how it works but cant you demand they give it? or call every vets you are able to get to and explain what you need on the phone and if they would proscribe it?

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
i feel so upset

Yes im looking into it

not sure how it works but cant you demand they give it? or call every vets you are able to get to and explain what you need on the phone and if they would proscribe it?
Thats what im planning on doing,im going to start ringing around on mon

have you got a p@h with an attached vets ie....compainion care! near you marie? they are open all weekend and are pretty up with new treatments!

I rang loads of vets when Maa had her abscess and not one stocked antibiotic beads either - It seems like we have cutting edge vet treatment, as only seen on rabbit rehome!

Maa's vet sent a swab of her pus to be analysed - has your vet done this Marie? The swab cost about £30 and took a week to be analysed - the results came back saying what bacterium it was responsible and what antibiotics to use - choice of 3, one of which was duphapen. My vet showed me her drug book - it had no dosage given for a rabbit 'that's because it's not safe to use on rabbits' she said.

Fact is they don't know the dose as there's none recommended and no research done on it - so they are taking a gamble and are afraid of being sued or looking bad if your rabbit dies.

So my vet used one of the others, and said baytril was useless for this bacterium - wouldnn't even touch it!

Unless you sign a contract saying you won't sue them if your rabbit dies as a result, they are not going to want to do anything radical with no guidance published for them to use.

Get a swab done if you haven't already - then at least you can see what antibiotics are recommended.

Hiya Elve
The vets have all just said there is nothing,that can be done,havent offered any advice or help,they give said give him metacam when he doesnt eat and when he is really bad thats it

well it's a fact that if an abscess is in the bone there's not much they can do, especially if it's a facial bone - but if they took a swab of the pus they might find they can knock the bacteria on the head for longer, even if he's not cured.

elve said:
well it's a fact that if an abscess is in the bone there's not much they can do, especially if it's a facial bone - but if they took a swab of the pus they might find they can knock the bacteria on the head for longer, even if he's not cured.
Yes i fully understand,the bone will always be there but it would be nice to try and stop the puss build up

Hi Marie
You're having a bit of a nightmare aren't you? I do feel sorry for you.

Do you remember I suggested the Cat & Rabbit Clinic near Northampton to you a while ago? Well, the vet I see is back next week and if you want to go ahead with the Duphapen he will advise you as he has experience of using it. We have used it with our bun and no it didn't kill him but then it hasn't shifted the abscess either. It has been known to work though - I just think our bun has an bad one.

I know you've been to a few places now but if you want to try Duphapen and can't find anywhere else it really isn't that far away.

Vickie

Hiya vickie
you have been so helpfull
and yes hopefully if o/h will take me we will take alfie to the cat and rabbit clinic
Where is your rabbits absess? does it fill with puss?

I don't think any animal who is eating and generally OK with life should be PTS, even if they have cancer - If they aren't in pain then why not let them enjoy what little time they have?

Abscesses aren't the end of the world, but if they aren't cured they can 'seed' to other areas and be an ongoing problem - However if the rabbit isn't suffering pain then it's probably more of a problem for the carer - they can live with them, although it will shorten their life as in the end they will suffer and need to be PTS.

If they're not suffering, I say let them enjoy life, even if just for a year or whatever :)

Back