• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay - best place to buy online?

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, as a result of Humphrey & Tilly's teeth problems, my vet has recommended I get them some high quality hay, preferably Timothy hay. I have found a couple of online stores but wondered which ones people use and which are the best value, as I notice it seems to be particularly expensive stuff compared to your average hay bale!! Is it really better than normal hay?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, b-m

Hiya,

I buy mine from West Wales Willow online. It's not cheap, but to be honest I haven't done a price check anywhere else to see if it more or less expensive than anywhere else.

My buns love it, but they haven had anything else. I was told Timothy Hay was good, and that WWW was a reasonable place to get it from, so I just headed there and never looked back. :)

Unfortunately Oxbow.com only ships USA. I am trying to source
a supplier in Oxford as I am spending £40 a go on Timothy Hay
which is lasting just over a week for my three rabbits. I am going to a farm next week that supplies the Oxbow to pet shops and
I am going to purchase direct. Anyone else from Oxford as
we could do a joint order.

Karly said:
www.bunnybasics.net
Cheapest I've seen so far but it's still great quality and my buns love it. Very fast helpful service too.

Yep, thats where I get mine from www.timothyhay.co.uk which are the same people, my two do prefer the Oxbow but this is easier for me to get hold of and very slightly cheaper - and beings as my two eat tonnes of the stuff every penny counts.

availability of western timothy hay

I've just spotted someone looking for hay suppliers near Oxford. Try contacting www.sphupplies.co.uk -they have a range of Oxbow hay in stock and will let you pick it up if you live near by. Their prices for the big bales are very competitive too - I always find them very helpful. also got bunny basics T and bunny food in stock, plus lots of other useful things. Hope this helps

I would go offline and call around from a farm. It's very cheap, and farm hay are always fresh cut. I paid $4 for 60 lb. of timothy hay at the farm vs. $9 for 5 lb. of Not-So-Fresh timothy hay from pet store

Just to let you all know we will soon be selling petpacks of our timothy hay in 1KG.

We also hope to have 3-4 different types of timothy hay availible in the new year ranging from course to fine in texture to suit all small furries needs.

hi

It's cheaper if you buy it in bulk, but you need to store it - I have 4 boxes, the size of small fridge-freezers coming next week as I didn't want to run out over Christmas - They are going to look lovely - one in my hall and 3 in my living room - think I will cover them in gift wrap :roll:

I've just discovered 'Mayfield's' hay - purchased from Focus.

I've had 2 types of Timothy Hay in the past, one off the internet which was really expensive but smelt gorgeous ( I nearly ate it my self!) and the other was from P at H. The Rabs however were not impressed by either.

The Mayfield's Hay is very similar to the expensive Timothy I had but much cheaper and the Rabs adore it.

It's quite course and green so should be good for the teeth.

Rabswood

hi, do you mean focus the diy store?i am really interested in trying this....can you poss look on the bag to see if there is a manufacturer address or website as all my searches are drawing a blank!!

its made by L Batleys pet products. I think its about £2 -2.50 per 1Kg bag RRP. Its just a meadow hay.

We actually use this from time to time for our buns litter trays. it can be nice but its all dependant on the batch that you get as 60% of the time it can be quite rank.

They dont currently do a timothy hay, but hopefully that will change in 2006 :wink:

There is a whole new range of herbal hays due to be launched very soon. Non of them are grown in the UK so the quality should be far more consistant. These are part of a range of about 30 hays, bedding, herbal treats , and litters. I have pictures and catalogs of all the products here but they are all in German and Dutch packageing so not much use posting the pics on here.

they have a new website address now but its Trade access only, as its there online ordering system.

If you just want a consistant quality meadow hay you best choice is "natures best", its grown in Devon, out of all the prepackaged hay's its one of the best for a UK hay.

hayx1.jpg

Back