• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning hutches out

Tamsin said:
Please don't electrocute yourselves :shock: :roll:

:lol: :lol: That's why I put the disclaimer on! No I never electrocuted myself but I did use a circuit breaker on the extension lead! This was many years ago, now I have lino in the bottom of one shed and carpet in the other, but the bunnies always have an outside space and they always go there, so it isn't a problem! Lovely good bunnies, not messing up their nice houses...http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=12322

What do you put in the litter trays? Someone once told me you could use cat litter but wasn't too sure about this as I'm sure they would eat it and it wouldn't be good for their tums?

Also, do the bunnies not try to eat the lino? although it is a great idea!...putting the lino there in the first place, not eating it hehe

I use my partners heat gun. It is safe enough to use outside if it is dry - builders have to! The instructions say it is ideal to disinfect rabbit hutches but to ensure the animal is removed first!! As if we need telling that. They get very hot but this kills the bacteria and it usually comes with a scraper attachment which I use on its own for hard to reach corners.
I dont think it was too expensive. Just a basic one will be fine but the nozzle end does get v v v v v v hot.
Good luck -
Louisa

I use recycled paper cat litter, thankfully my buns don't munch on it, prob wouldn't do any harm even if they did though!! Then a layer of hay on top of this in all my litter trays.

Princess has lino in her shed, again she doesn't eat it, much prefers food!!

Nicola

The edging strip is a good idea, as is the recycled paper, I didn't realised they did that.

You people are just too clever for me :D

My last rabbit seemed to enjoy eating everything... especially my mum's sofa cushions... needless to say, she wasn't amused hehe

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks - where do you get spray disinfectant from??

And what about the wet patches where they have wee'd??

Thanks so much

I buy zoflora from wilkinsons, and dilute it up into a spray bottle, one tiny glass bottle lasts ages, I use the spray for about 2 weeks then make up some fresh. I find that this, in addition with the litter trays and the hutches are not too bad at all :D

Someone on here (sorry cant remember who) uses vinegar and water in a spray - I use venegar for loads of things and have started using it on the hutches and litter trays now too :D

Morrisons have some nice litter trays for about 1.50

I GET MY LITTER TRAYS FROM MORRISSONS , THEY RE NICE AND BIG AND MAKE CLEANING EASIER.

NOW USE CONCENTRATED DISINFECTANT FROM VETS BUT USED TO BUY A SPRAY FROM MORRISSONS . ITS NOT EXPENSIVE AND SMELLS NICE AS WELL AS KILLING GERMS.

ANGIE

I use Ark-Klens too. It saves me a fortune :D

I use shavings and hay in my trays outside. In the house I tend to use newspaper and hay instead.

Back