• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Do You Heat A Shed Safely - HELP NEEDED

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I currently have 2 rabbits living in a 8" by 6" shed and am getting increasing worried about how cold it is getting on a night (especially with the frost last night).

At the moment there is no electricity in the shed. They have a a 4" hutch full of hay and a litter tray full of hay but seem to sleep on top of the hutch or on the floor. I have put a snugglesafe in with them but unless they sit on top of it I don't think it does much.

I have tried putting cardboard boxes in with hay but they just destroy them in less than an hour.

What I would like to know if how to heat it safely. I assume I will have to get electricity into the shed and find a safe heater. Any ideas would be fantastic!

Thanks

I have an outside electric socket,with an ex lead running from it,i have 2 heaters running a mini raditaor and a halogen heater

Just thought - would it help to insulate the shed. What is the best way to do this?

Any safetly tips on getting electricity into the shed, can't afford an electrician at the moment.

Where did you get the mini radiator? Was it expensive?

Are your bunnies running around while the heaters are on? I am scared they may knock it over or burn themselves.

Did you fit the outside socket?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

No the mini raditor was about £20 you can get them in argos,i will ask my o/h who fitted the socket im not sure
No the bunnies are in puppy pens but you could put one high up out of there reach,insulating the shed would help a lot

We worried so much last year as it was our first time owning bunny's and of course they always sat outside even in the snow :roll: :roll: :roll: Once again we are worried with the sudden drop in temperature, they all have hay to snuggle into, warm places out of the cold and wind but where do they all sit OUTSIDE :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
We are at a loss, i guess if they are really cold they will go inside, their shed and playhouse are both nice and snug so they have the option...................!

DSC00767.jpg

I guess just because we find it cold doesn't mean they do. Still I'd love to have a in-built fur coat this time of year too. :)

I will get the Argos catalog out tonight and have a look - thanks!

Love the photo of the bunnies in the snow.

I guess they may not feel the cold as much as us but I would feel so much happier if I did not have to worry.

I have only had Alfie since July and this is my first winter. I am usually very over-protective and such a worrier but fortunately i am not worried about the cold THAT much.

Last night is was FREEZING, i went to put him in his hutch at 10.30 and take the run off his hutch and he was sitting on the floor in the run!!!! not even in his big hay filled litter!

This morning i went to see him and he had pushed his hay & straw down the hatch and he was sleeping on the newspaper.

I really think that rabbits can tolerate very cold weather - they are afterall rabbits and have thick coats!! they do much better in the winter than the summer.

I dont personally feel that heating a shed is necessary as my bun sleeps in a hutch outside and is just fine!

I have a oil filled radiator in my sheds I got them from Focus for £20 they are only approx 2ft x 2ft and My hubby fixed a shelf high up so that the buns can't get to it as I have my plug sockets very high up too. The heaters are superb.

hi

I really don't think they mind the cold, so long as you shut them up at night in a draught free place, with a cosy hay box and/or carpet for them to sit on (depends if they are chewers or not) they will be fine - They have each other to snuggle up to as well :)

My shed bunnies have the window open a crack all the time too :shock:

Both bunnies did use to be house bunnies (only moved out 2 months ago so this is the first winter).

I am not too worried about Flopsy the female as she is only 10 months old (so not used to inside winters) and has VERY thick fur.

Jasper though is 4 and has lived in doors all his life. He was overweight before he moved out and has slimmed down to a lovely size since. I don't want the cold to be a huge shock to his system.

Although they are well bonded Flopsy is very bossy and I doubt she lets him snuggle. Flopsy usually sleep on top of the hutch (Jasper can't jump there - probably due to his old weight problem). They have licking competitions in the run until she gets bored.

The shed is closed off from the run at night.

safe shed heating

I have a summerhouse about 10ft X 15 ft.inside are 11 hutches and 17 bunnies.They all have runs in the garden to use during the day and are locked safely away in their hutches in my shed/summerhouse at dusk.
We put electricity in so in the winter the short days could be made longer with light and when it drops to minus 6 at night they could have extra warmth.I have two heaters installed that look like strip lights but emit heat not light.They are made for use in conservatory's by DIMPLEX. see www.dimplex.co.uk or www.smarter-heating.co.uk
U cannot get them from any d.i.y store tho but are available in lighting shops and some conservatory installers.prices range from £17 for 1ft length and £30 for a 6ft length one.
They have lots of haytoo and I sometimes use an old blanket/carpet to pull down over the hutch fronts.

Back