Thread: Rabbit Scent Glands

Banned

Default Rabbit Scent Glands

Would cotton buds not be an easier why to clean out scent glands? I have just done Toby’s and I can see there is dirt deeper in. I cannot get to that with cotton wool.
    Why do rabbits have scent glands anyway?

Banned

I use cotton buds to clean my lots with. Bit of sterilised luke warm water and very gently clean them. Works a treat.

Louise

I do the same as Louise Emma! they really do smell though!!!! *puke emotion needed*
    Dash, Scooter, Missy, Max, Sooty, Jamima, Winston, Reuben, Foxglove, Ron and Smidgen
    Goodnight Hester my Special bun xxx

''It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.'' - Bridget Jones
    www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk
    http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk/

Do you mean the ones around their genitalia? It's just that I asked Jason, my rabbit-savvy vet, about these recently and he said that we shouldn't meddle in there at all! So I have to say I don't. :wink:

Harriet , Charlie, Sebastian & Robbie at the Bridge but forever in my heart.

Wise Old Thumper

I tend to leave 'em alone too!! Unless there is an over-load of the waxy gunk .I use a cotton bud with a bit of vaseline on it to gently clean the gunk away. If I have to do one buns in a bonded pair then I do other buns too as it seems that if you clean out the scent glands the bun smells 'different' and there can be a bit of argy-bargy when you put cleaned glands bun back with their partner. Tends not to happen if you do both buns at the same time. Or perhaps I just have really odd bunsters...!! Jane and Buns xx

I tend to agree with Lizzie and Jane, I never clean my buns scent glands and I assume that they do it themselves - I'd soon notice is there were any problems as we do bottom area checking at least once a day and obviously more in the summer.
    Bev

Mummy to Lavender & Darwin bunnies, and Buxton & Edison puddy tats.

I cleaned Elvis`s out once as I noticed they were a tad mucky but other than that he kept them clean himself and Denzil is forever cleaning down there so no puke emoticon needed here folks