• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potato

cazza

Mama Doe
Hi
Can someone please advise why rabbits arent allowed potato,?
my old bun loved plain mashed potato with carrots and peas - a vet told us it was something they could have
:oops:
caz

When I was first married, a long time ago now!, I had a bunny that would only eat tinned mixed veg and mashed potato!

We used to buy 8 big tins a week of the mixed veg from Kwik Save! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, she lived to the good age of 8 on this diet!

Kate

My first bun loved choc digestives....highy bad for them i know but i was only a kid at the time and he lived until the age of 10 yrs :shock:

hi

Have just read this thread out to my young son and he said 'technically I think your rabbits are all dying because you feed them too healthily' :shock: Then he started crying - poor boy :(

Rushie said:
Wonderbunn,

It was soooo long ago that I can't remember how we discovered she liked tinned veg!

Kate

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just got visions of bunnies staging a break in, stealing the tin opener and getting there prize!

when i was little my pet bun used to have washed, boiled potatoe peelings with oats mixed in . we used to feed them warm in the winter about every other day. he lived to be 7 yrs old.

dont give my buns them now cos heard theyre bad for em . sorry not sure why.

Angie

My friend advised me long ago that potatos is not even good for human if I eat too much, as the starch is not good for me.

But my last rabbit loves potato chips, in the course of negotiating with him, we settle for a few slice once a week on Wednesday.

i heard this too and havent since fed potoato. BUT my first bunny Rags, used to always have the potato peelings and such like and he was 13 before he left us, so im guessing its not as bad as its made out to be, but uim not taking any chances!! lol!

Saying that i get confused as to which greens are ok and which arent! so i guess i leave it to h to tell me by what ever he eats!

I would like to know too. It seems a shame to throw potato peelings away if they could eat them.

When I was a child we had a goat and used to cook the peelings for her. She wasn't supposed to have them raw, but cooked was ok - maybe this applies to rabbits too?

Back