• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snugglesafe heat pads question.

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks, :)

Can you heat snugglesafe heat pads up in the oven (gas)? We don’t have a microwave.

I’m thinking of investing in a few heat pads as at the moment I just use hot water bottles for the animals if there sick etc but there not ideal for the Rabbits, as I need to supervise them constantly to make sure they don’t chew through it.

Louise

Hiya! I would doubt it to be honest, the heating mechanism of those things is usually friction caused by the microwaves. I would imagine that they would melt or catch fire in the oven. Here is the snugglesafe website "contact us" page so they should be able to tell you for definite!

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/contact.htm

wouldnt think you could put them in the oven they would probably mely, but i could be wrong but they are made of plastic.

micros are really cheap could you not get one!?

hi

I bought a microwave for £50 last year, just so I could get some snugglesafes - then I never
bought the snugglesafes as rabbits don't seem to feel the cold much, unless they're ill, in
which case they are indoors in the warm.

Snugglesafes will melt if they are put in a normal oven, you can buy plug in heated pads, however they need to be supervised just in case they chew through the cables.

If you haven't got a microwave and don't intend to get one (Tesco now have a basic model for just over £33), could you see if you could find one of those old fashion hot water bottles which are made of china. You could then wrap it up well in a toweling cover instead.

Janice

i use empty pop bottles filled with hot water and slipped inside an old sock . they work realy well . i do have one snuggle safe though because they stay warm longer.

Angie

I use plastic milk cartons, we don't drink pop, although the lids are probably better on the pop bottles cos of the pressure.

I don't use milk either - but the boys do - gallons of it :roll: I am sure that is why L. is 6ft 3" and still growing :wink:

Thanks for the advice guys! I will email Snugglesafe but by the sounds of it I will be causing a fire hazard if I put one in the oven! :shock:

To be honest we have no use for a microwave and I'm not keen on them anyway.

We will just have to make do with normal hot water bottles when they are sick/recovering from an operation etc.

Louise

Could you put the hot water bottle in one of those plastic food containers? That should still let the heat through but protect from teeth. You can get quite shallow ones.

Tam

hi

that's a good idea Tamsin - I have Maa coming home from her op today, and I'm wondering if she'll be too poorly to chew the hot water bottle, or not :?

Charlie pig was so ill he just lay on his pink furry hot water bottle without a care - but bunnies are more 'chewy' than piggies...and they do seem to love the taste of rubber :?

When they're really ill I don't think you have to worry, but if they just need some warmth outside then I'd go for Angie or Tamsin's ideas - rather than £20 a throw on a snugglesafe - Although they stay warm longer, and give out a constant low heat, rather than hot at first then rapidly cooling like a bottle of hot water...They have a special gel in them which vibrates with the microwaves, creating heat.

oh no - more decisions! :lol:

jrn1310 said:

If you haven't got a microwave and don't intend to get one (Tesco now have a basic model for just over £33), could you see if you could find one of those old fashion hot water bottles which are made of china. You could then wrap it up well in a toweling cover instead.

Janice

Had a look on eBay and I've found two stoneware hot water bottles I might have a bid on. There in my area so saves my lots of postage but the seals on them may need replacing to make them safe for using.

Thanks for teh suggestion! :D

Louise

Back