• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty behaviour

RT

Young Bun
Hello

Our house rabbit (Flopsy) has recently decided that she loves to strip the wallpaper off the walls rather than play with her toys.

She knows this is naughty because she will only do it when she thinks you arent looking and then she will race off in the other direction if you say "no" or go over to her.

Has any one got any ideas on how we can stop this because we cant let her out at the moment unless we can fully keep an eye on her?

Many thanks

:lol: :lol: sorry can't help, but there are some good pics of wallpaper stripping on the general chat forum!!!

I think you need a water sprayer for when she is naughty. I'd love house bunnies but they are sooo distructive :roll: :lol:

A water sprayer may do the trick but i think once theve disscovered the joys of stripping you will be hard pushed to stop it. :lol:

Have you tried rubbing garlic on the area? I did this in a bookcase my girlie took a fancy to and she stopped instantly!!!

I was recently told about a dolphin trainer who managed to stop her cat going into her kitchen bin! She sprayed her cat with water with vanilla essence in, then put vanilla essence around her rubbish bin and now the cat won't go anywhere near! :) You could try soemthing similar...?

Is it one particluar place you rabbit goes for? If so you could try blocking it?

You could to provide her with her own things to shred, like cardboard boxes and old phone books. You can buy wicker/seagrass toys for rabbits and they love tearing these to pieces!

After saying no you could try placing her in her cage for 5 minutes and ignoring her, if you have a cage that is!

naughty behaviour

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have tried two, we have put her straight back in her hutch when she has been naughty and got her a big box full of shredded paper to play with. At the moment (touch wood) this seems to have stopped the shredding! :D

I've got the same problem, Skye started doing this about a month ago (even though she has loads of cardboard and wicker toys to play with) She has gone mad and there's bits ripped off everywhere. I'm in a rented flat so I'm going to have to re-paper the living room below the rail. She really tests my patience!! I tried the water scoosher idea..... only to find that she's chewed a hole in the bottom of that too now! :?

I live in rented houses too, so when my previous bun developed a taste for wallpaper I covered the bottom bits of paper close to the skirting board with sticky back plastic that you can buy in rolls. On corners and other more chewable areas you may have to put it up to the top bunny-reach height.
It worked - he then started on the carpet instead, which I repaired with a curved needle and tapestry wool the same colour as the carpet. :roll:

thats why its great having a house-bun with no teeth - no worries about what they are getting up to when you are out of the room! :wink:

melaniejb said:
I was recently told about a dolphin trainer who managed to stop her cat going into her kitchen bin! She sprayed her cat with water with vanilla essence in, then put vanilla essence around her rubbish bin and now the cat won't go anywhere near! :) You could try soemthing similar...?

This works because Cats detest being sprayed (mostly) and the smell triggers a memory of being squirted. I'm not sure buns would hate it as much!!
xx

:D :D Calling all Bunster wanabee decorators.... :shock: I need some help stripping the wallpaper in my lounge!! :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Hi

Pebble eats the wallpaper aswell and has stripped loads of it off the wall but try rubbing with a bar of soap to deter them. It certainly stops Pebble doing it as much! Also someone on here suggested rubbing with pepper, lemon or lime juice - not sure you'd want this on your walls though!!

Back