• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie's snuffles (update)

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Went back to the vets last night for a check-up on Alfie's snuffles, he has been on a course of Antibiotics for 2 weeks and the vet has said to try him for another 2 weeks. After that, he said that we will just use antibiotics when it gets bad.

I feel really frustrated that this just isn't clearing up, i'm not getting anywhere. He has improved slightly but still has sneezing fits and white discharge (def parstuella :cry: )

Anyway, it seems clear that this is something he has to live with, maybe when he gets older and his immune system gets stonger it will get better.

His weight has gone up and he is clearly a happy chap so that's what's most important.

But, unfortunately i can't get him neatured for another month or so, the vet wants to wait until he is atleast 6 months old when his immune system is stronger for the anesthetic. So will be a while yet before he can get a new mate :cry: :cry:

vet said to put him in the bathroom when im having a shower as the steam will help, plus i need to take away sawdust from his hutch and get some other hay + alfalfa hay.

Sorry for the moan all, just a bit frustrated today :(

Bonnie x

Aww Bonnie XX He'll be alright, try placing some vics in hot water and placing it next to alfie this will help to clear his nose a wee bit XXX

aw it must be frustrating for you ... just stick with it sounds like your vet has given you lots of things to try ... I think removing the sawdust is a very good idea, as this can irriate any buns nose.

Is Alfie an indoor or outdoor bunny?

Thanks Phill and 5cutebunnies,

Alfie is an outdoor and indoor rabbit, basically he lives outside but comes in and out as he pleases (under supervision of course) and is in with me in the evening.

Unfortunately i cannot make him permenant house bun.

Will try the vics think - thanks for that!

PS. shall i just use hay and newspaper as bedding then??

I know he doesn't like sawdust as he kicks it all out of the way - need to remove it all tonight...

Thanks

Bonnie x

Poor Alfie and his snotty nose!! Mind you it sounds like it's more of a worry to you than him!! Has the vet sent off a nasal swab for microscopy/cultures/sensitivities. Yes, much of the time snuffles is caused by pasteurella, but not always. Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic but maybe a more specific one is required......?? Lots of fresh air is best for snot-some bunsters. If Alfie is a house rabbit you might consider geting humidifiers for the rooms he is in. Central heating drys the atmosphere and can play havoc with some buns respiratory tract. The ideal temp for buns is about 16C and most people have their heating up higher in the winter!! Can we see a few piccys of the little man as he grows up?? Bet he's pleased he can hang on to his 'bits' for a while longer. S'pect he was worried than they'd be whipped at as soon as they were down!! JCO

JCO said:
?? Bet he's pleased he can hang on to his 'bits' for a while longer. S'pect he was worried than they'd be whipped at as soon as they were down!! JCO
:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry JCO but you've made me laugh with that.... I presume you mean whipped out really :lol:

sorry JCO but you've made me laugh with that.... I presume you mean whipped out really

Made me laugh too (thanks for that :lol: )

He is an outside bun, and when he comes in i don't have the heating on and keep the back dorr half open so the temp doesn't change to dramatically - i have to sit there with my coat on though!.

No the vet hasn't said anything about a swab actually, i wonder if that would be worth it?? i may call him up and ask about this.

he isn't actually on Baytril (was on that before) he is on one beginning with M?? can't remember now its on the tip of my tongue...

have loads of pics of Alfie, need to get some batteries for the camera and then try and work out photobucket!! he is a lovely dwarf lop - my first bun!!

Bonnie x

Alfie kennedy said:
PS. shall i just use hay and newspaper as bedding then??

I know he doesn't like sawdust as he kicks it all out of the way - need to remove it all tonight...

Thanks

Bonnie x

Is he in a shed or hutch? either way you could try him with a litter tray. My buns live in the shed .. they have hay for there bedding and their litter trays are lined with newspaper and topped off with hay.

I would certainly remove the sawdust and give the litter tray ago ... just pop one in where ever he goes to the toilet the most :wink:

Thanks,

he is in a hutch - i just recently got him a massive jumbo double to accomodate two bunnies with a run - he loves it!

he has sawdust upstairs and down stairs sawdust with hay on top & litter tray with hay that he sleeps and goes to the toilet in (nice!!).

Will get rid of the sawdust and just use hay, although unfortunately the hay i have is from the farm so is quite dusty anyway - may have to pay a visit to P@H after work as its open late and get some other hay..

Thanks

....Ooh err, yeh I did mean WHIPPED. Gawd my poor spelling has got me into some scrapes at times. :roll: Dont let Alfie read my previous post as the poor lad'll think he's in for a real shock :shock: Is it Marbocly he's on..?? My nasal swabs (well not mine PERSONALLY) cost about £30 and the results take about 3-4 days to come back as they have to grow the cultures and then test for a/biotic sensitivity. Now, think I had better set myself some spelling homework....!! JCO XX

....Ooh err, yeh I did mean WHIPPED. Gawd my poor spelling has got me into some scrapes at times

:lol: you are making me laugh today!

were the swabs for snuffles and was it worth doing?? i might give my vert a call next week, am surprised he didn't suggest this actually as he seemed to know what he was talking about!

yep, it is marbocyl!!

He should be alright, I think Gina (Bailey and Gizmo's mum) might be the person to talk to I seem to recall her darling Cheeky had Snuffles, I might be wrong though.

I'm sure there's several other people with snuffle buns on here.

Keep on the way your going and as long as he's happy he should be fine, stay positive Bonnie xxx

IF as it seems your rabbit has got snuffles then he has it for life and sadly they do not always live as long ,as it can cause all sorts of other heath problems. Olbus oil is good for a stuffy nose just a little dab will do. He would be better kept as an outdoor bunny your house will get to hot and dry for him.My fav bunny has had it for 2 and a half years now and i keep the batril for when he is chesty, as prolonged use can lead to imunity and then when he rearly needs it it wont work well for him. As for getting him a mate you will have to get another rabbit with snuffles otherwise your rabbit will pass it on to the new rabbit.my rabbit dosent get completly clear of it, mant do for a while then it will come back. Im waiting for mine to have a clearer period so i can have him castrated. They should have an op while they are snuffly as there lungs are very smal compared to the rest of there organs and they cannot breath through there mouth so ops are dangerous. Although its not a reason not to get him nutered a lot of rabbits with this can be sterile [best not to chance it though]. val

Hiya! I've done away with sawdust/ shavings too. I line everything with newpaper and they have a mixture of hay and straw on top of it,( + hay racks). They get really snuggled into it!
Hope Alfie feels better soon.

Hi Val, HS and Gem,

Vet wants to get him neatured when he is 6 months maybe a little older as his immune system is stronger then. Fortunately it hasn't affected his chest as yet (according to the vet anyway).

So will be looking for a snuffly girl soon - can't wait!!! will be wiping to noses of two buns soon :wink:

will get some straw and put hay on top - hope he doesn't end up eating the straw though!

I put some Oibas Oil on some tissue and put it on the outside of his hutch this morning, and tonight when i get in im having a steaming hot bath so the steam will hope his little nostrils!

Thanks all :D

Hiya. Has your vet mentioned trying a mucolytic agent along with the Marbocyl to treat Alfies snotty nose? Bromhexine or N-acetyl-cysteine can be administered via a nebuliser or Bromhexine can be given systemically.Although as with so many veterinary drugs non of these are licensed for use in rabbits. Dont think Marbocyl is either so your vet may be willing to try as he's given Alfie that....?? Bunster snuggles for Alfie!! :p JCO xx

You are soo knowledgeable! :wink:

Have to print out what you wrote as i would never remember those names, but worth phoning and asking for it!

Thanks for the Bunster Snuggles!

I have seen a gorg snuffle bun on GBH rehoming in Kent that has a snotty nose too, she is really cute and i want her but doubt they could reserve her for that long - have emailed anyway..

Thanks

Bonnie x

Something else worth a try is some echinacea which comes in either a capsule form which you can put on their food or a liquid which you need to add to their drinking water. It may just help to boost his immune system.

Janice

Back