• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New buns, need some advise on male/female issues

Ok, I ended up getting 2 new buns today in memory of our beloved butterscotch. They are both about 12 weeks old, the pet store owner thinks, have been together for a while now and are quite bonded, problem is its a male and a female. I plan to take them to the vet asap to get a checkup and everything but would like anyones opinion on whether we need to get them both fixed or just the male or just the female? What are the chances she could already be pregnant? I couldn't help myself by getting 2, my daughter was holding the little black female and she was soooo snuggli and then I picked up the little male, white with black around his eyes and he started licking my chin. I started crying and had to have them both. I revised our pen so that there is nooooo chance of the dogs getting anywhere near the buns. I didn't split them up when I got home since they had been together, should I? Thanks for any advise, I will get some pics posted soon.
Oh and Hannah named the female Lulu and I named the male Zoro

Also need info on feeding them. I usually fed butterscotch the pellet feet with mixed dried veggies in it and wide variety of fresh veggies along with unlimited hay and water. They also have access to grass during the day when I let them out. Oh and they are supposed to be pure bred dwarf bunnies, can you tell how much the pet store really knows,lol. Anyhow the male doesn't look like a dwarf the female is very small and black with extrememly soft fur, any ideas? I will post some pics and that should help. Anyhow, thanks

You definately need to get the male fixed - preferably the female too but she can't be done until abit older. You need to contact your vet and see what the earliest age they are happy to neuter males is. I think ARC has a vet that does it at 12 weeks but alot of vet won't until they are 14-16 weeks. You either need to get him done now or seperate them until he is old enough. If you're lucky you'll have caught them just in time to stop her getting pregant. Obviously a pregnancy at such a young age wouldn't be very good for her so keep a close eye on her.

For now keep them on the same diet they were being fed in the store plus plenty of hay. Any changes like swapping to a different brand or introducing new veggies needs to be done really gradually :)

Congratulations :) I look forward to the pictures :D

Tam

I will separate them in the morning then and see what the vet has to say. Zoro is so cute he loves to lick. I think it will take some adjustment to get them used to their new freedom, huge enclosure. I put in lots of little hidey holes and snugglies for them since they are not used to the big space. Well I hope that Lulu isn't pg it would be so bad for her so young, I can't believe they had the males and females mixed, well I can, most pet store workers know nothing about animals at least here that is.

Congratulations on the 2 new bunnies! :D
There names are lovely,they go so well....my daughter also hannah named our new bun last week and called her Peppa (from peppa pig!).
They look so cuddly.... :love:
Love Zoros little black eyes.

Leesa.

They're lovely, but I think you may need to resize your signature a bit to get rid of all the empty white space around it!

Back