• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

(Spring) Greens - advice

Patches24

Young Bun
Hi Everyone

Went to the vet yesterday and she said that greens shouldn't be given all the time as they're high in calcium and cause stones to form. She suggested rotating with other green veg like brocolli and spinach etc. Although mine aren't fans I've decided to be tough as it's for their own good!

Hope some of you find that useful!

Sarah

I thought broccoli was at least as high in calcium as spring greens, if not higher :shock:

Mine love spring greens too, they're their favourite!

I really stuggle with the veggie thing. Mine get cabbage, carrot and broccoli most days but if you are supposed to give a variety its a bit of a struggle. The supermarkets don't seem to sell much else. I don't get time to shop around and I haven't got my garden sorted yet to grow my own. Sometimes I give them Romaine lettuce but some people think thats bad too. Herbs are too expensive to buy from shops every week as well.

Yeh, Broccolli is v high in calcium. As long as bun is getting lots of hay/grass as MAIN food then a portion of Spring Greens wont hurt. Bunsters calcium metabolism is WELL WEIRD. It does not necessarily mean that what goes in in the way of calcium is what is metabolised by the bun. Romaine lettuce fed sparingly a couple of times a week is fine. What about well washed dandelion leaves or blackberry leaves. Blackberry leaves are also good for buns with upset tums. They are very astringent and help resolve diarrhoea( sorry, hope no-one is having their dinner whilst reading this...!!) JCO xx

Brocolli is indeed high in calcium, if your rabbit is getting to much it tends to turn their wee a whiteish colour, something to look out for. val

taylor v 109 said:
Brocolli is indeed high in calcium, if your rabbit is getting to much it tends to turn their wee a whiteish colour, something to look out for. val

thats interesting Val, does that mean that you should cut out the veg if you rabbit wee turns a whiteish colour :?: or just the high calcium veges :?:

Wish someone would give a "recipe" for daily veg so i could just follow it! I worry about cabbage and broccoli and greens and........

^I know, I wish there were set "rules", because all this conflicting info (the vets tell you one thing and the bun lovers say another - though I do tend to trust the latter more ;)) makes my brain hurt! Today Fidget has had broccoli, greens, a bit of spinach and carrot (she gave me the dirtiest look when she saw the carrot, she's not a fan)...yesterday she had a smiliar mix with a bit of romany lettuce and some spinach, but then I hear people with their "don't feed them lettuce, cabbage, spinach, etc." and people saying "Oh, my rabbit has been fine with a bit of lettuce"...it's like...argh *crawls into a corner and rocks back and forth from the confusion of it all*. Nevertheless, she seems to be feeling/acting/pooing ok, which is reassuring in itself.

She seems to be drinking less water though, she has barely made an impact on her water bottle these past few days, but then I hear a diet of veg (she's had a lot lately) makes them drink less because most veg has such a high water content. She seems fine but I worry. God knows what I'd be like if I had kids...

I've heard a few people say their rabbits don't like carrot but my three absolutely love them. Its the first thing they eat from their veggie bowl!

Yeh, some of mine are totally addicted to carrots. As soon as the fridge door opens there's a non too orderly queue of eager bunsters waiting. If no chunk of carrot is given I get mugged. Thinkin' of issuing ASBOs...Anti Social Bunster Orders!!!!! JCO xx

Brussels sprouts are the answer - one of the lowest greens veg - mine love them too.
I roughly chop the following and keep in a plastic container in the bunny shed - they then get a few handfuls from this box each day as do the piggies.
Brussels, brocolli, carrot, parsnip.
The occasionally, they have spring greens, tomato, apple & pear as a treat. The piggies also have cucumber and peppers.
Their other love is parsley but they get that hand fed that.

I will get them some brussell sprouts then! as long as I don't have to eat them, yuk! My OH likes to eat them raw :shock:

Mine love Brussel sprouts too ... but not chopped we have to peel all the leaves off or they wont eat them :roll: spoilt buns!

Mine have 2 servings of veg every day and either a tiny piece of banana or pear everyday ... and they are healthy and happy .... so Im sticking to what i know suits them :D

5cutebunnies said:
we have to peel all the leaves off or they wont eat them :roll:

They have got you well trained.

I usually just cut the brussels in half but if I am in a rush they have them whole.

Towsbuns said:
5cutebunnies said:
we have to peel all the leaves off or they wont eat them :roll:

They have got you well trained.

I usually just cut the brussels in half but if I am in a rush they have them whole.

You know I think you are right .... talk about the rich and famous having their grapes peeled for them, they have nothing on the boys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Everyone

I know what you mean about supermarkets - they drive me mad with what they DON'T have!! Mine actually love carrot tops. Not all supermarkets do them but they're great if you can get them. One problem though... you'll gave to love the carrots left over yourself or accept throwing them out! I haven't tried mine with brussel sprouts so will have a go! There is so much conflicting evidence out there :( Mine are now getting a small amount of kale and spinach with half a carrot each for breakkie and a small amount of greens, spinach and carrot tops for dinner! By the way have any of you tried pak choi with yr buns? A bit expensive but you could always eat some yourself! I give mine 2 leaves a day at the moment as a variety :) Herbs are expensive :( But mine get some basil a couple of times a month! A buy a big pot from Waitrose for about £1.50 which means they get a bit for more than a week as a treat! It's hard work feeding them properly ;)

Happy veg shopping!

Sarah, Patches and Blossom

My 5 all have their SR Excel, then greens everyday. Sometimes spring greens, sometimes cabbage. Topped off with broccoli/cauliflower, sometimes banana, then usually carrots. They all eat differently though, Lula wont eat cauli florets and loves carrot, whilst Ben will eat all the banana going. I love feeding them wet foods like banana, its the best chance to see them sticking their tongue out and licking their lips!

Mine also eat all the grass and weeds they can whilst they are out in the garden, which we have left 'wild' (i.e. only grass and weeds) just for them!

my 4 are fed broccoli, carrot and parsley. when my local fruit shop has it in kurly kale which they all love! the shop does bags of parsley for 10p and a bag of that usually lasts a couple of days. also tried them on sprouts, spring greens, turnip, a little apple occassionally but the favourite with them all is parsley and kale when i can get it!

Back