• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning cages

gizmo

Mama Doe
iv run out of cage disinfectant and i need to clean the buns out tomoz. what can i use insted also some of the buns may myxy so i want to gove the hutches good clean

hi

10% bleach with water - easy to judge if you have a plant spray bottle with markings on the side - needs to stand 10 mins to kill germs then dry till the chlorine smell's faded - pref wash off but I guess you can't with hutches - They can't catch myxi off each other but off insects, so I'm not sure of a safe insecticide :?

They can catch myxi off each other once it gets to the pneumonia stage, or from contact with the pus from their eyes so separate any sick ones straight away, and make sure you don't handle the healthy ones if you have been in contact with the sick ones without changing your clothes and washing your hands - better safe than sorry. Get any unvaccinated rabbits done straight away. And spray some kind of insect repellant around to try and stop another rabbit getting biten.

I lost one of mine to myxi a month ago but the other 20 survived as I took every precaution and vaccinated those who hadn't had it done already. I had a dreadful 2 weeks but we came through it.

My vet said it is even worth vaccinating an exposed rabbit.
Obviously get the sick ones to the vet asap, they can be nursed through this disease, particularly if they have been vaccinated.

Good luck, I'm so sorry your buns have caught it :cry:

Back