• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feline Pine...safe to use as litter?

AbbysMom

New Kit
I was just curious as to whether anyone has tried the Feline Pine and used it as a litter in their boxes? It is pretty economical here and I thought I would give it a try, except I didn't know if it was safe to use Pine with rabbits? I know it isn't recommended for hamsters and guinea pigs, but not quite sure about bunnies.

Here is a link for more information: http://www.felinepine.com/

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Thanks!

What do most of you use in your litter boxes?

Right now I am kicking myself....we had about a dozen big bags of wood stove pellets that I gave away last year because we weren't using our stove and removed it!

According to the link, it says the Feline Pine is kiln-dried...does that make a difference?

Just trying to look into all alternatives.

Right now I am using kitty litter UNDER the grating of their litter boxes where Abby can't get to it. In her cage in a litter pan I am using Yesterday's News since it doesn't have a grate (she's also not using it either)

http://www.felinepine.com/allpetpine.html
Their all pet pine litter mentions the problems with pine so maybe it is ok. I thought it was just shavings. Most wood based cat litters we use in the uk are made from recycled pine. If this is like pellets of pine then i wouldnt have thought it would be a problem, however if it is like wood shavings/sawdust then maybe not.

We just finished a bag of PAH stuff and are now onto Beauticat which is 100% recycled and seems fine, not sure if PAH stuff is recycled but the beauticat was the one stocked at our fantastic local petshop.

i use shredded recycled cardboard in the litter trays,its a horse bedding that is recommended for rats and rabbits very cheap large sack ,lasts for ages,depends what part of country you live in as delivery is about 15 quid....but lots of franchises throughout the uk and if collected is only 2.74 + vat!!!!!!!!!

Oh you live in the states, thats good you'll have plenty of options then, unlike here in the UK! :roll:

Anyway, there is no real difference in pine and kiln dried pine, both are still toxic, as pine is a softwood. Softwoods all have toxins, known as phenols and they can have a bad effect on the respiratory systems of rabbits, humans, hamsters etc. And in a recent test pine and cedar have be proven to be linked with kidney/liver problems.

So as you live in the states I reccommend aspen or even better carefresh or yesterdays news. Infact, if you go to www.hamsterific.com you will find a big list of safe beddings available in the states in the hamsterific care section. :wink: If you use carefresh, make sure your bunnies don't eat it! :shock: :lol:

is beauticat a clay or clumping litter?, if so it isn't safe for bunsters. :wink: better with a wood based litter. :wink:

Hi Everyone

I've tried, wood shavings, hay, carefresh, hemp! And am soon to try the pine cat litters! What I've found so far:
Wood shavings bug Patches ears and cause Blossom to sneeze so big no no!
Hay absorbs nothing so would need to change every day!
Carefresh and hemp are expensive
Carefresh is absorbent but lets the place stink
Hemp is good for smalls etc.
Now there are 2 other options ladies! Megabsorb - mainly from big farms with horses, meant to be excellent. Bunnymail stocks it too but I am not promoting them as they seem to mess people about including me!
Then there's organic non-clumping cat litter!
Other than that, take bunny outside? lol! I'm running out of options!

Oh, I did read somewhere that some people use towels in the tray and then wash them.... mmmm maybe not a good idea to put your favourite dress in afterwards for a delicate wash!

Good Luck

Sarah xx

I ran out of litter yesterday (I just use woodshavings normally), and tried using shredded newspaper. It's absorbent and everything, but Fidget seemed a bit too fond of eating the paper so half an hour later I had to change it and use hay!

i use an aspen bedding/ litter for bob. there is virtually no odor to it, and it says on the bag specifically that there are no aromatic oils on it. i feel safer staying away from ANY pine or cedar.
or is aspen bad too?

I haven't heard anything about aspen being bad, no. Only pine and cedar. We use aspen at work for our reptiles and the smell, certainly isn't as bad as sawdust or shavings..

I have found a good bedding/litter that i may try, russel rabbit finely chopped soft straw, i thought that migh tbe good in a litter tray perhaps with wood-based cat litter underneath.. I may use it as a substitute for sawdust as a bedding aswell, with hay on top. Will let you know what it's like when i've tried it!

Back