• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Household Disruption

We are longing to get our first house rabbits, but we have quite a lot of DIY coming up in the next few months. They would have their own room, but I am worried about how rabbits would cope with the noises as I would not want to upset them. Has anyone else experienced this and got any tips on how to reduce the stress for them? I wouldn't want to bring them into a house where they might be unhappy.

hi

I think it depends what they're used to - my new bunny Tia hasn't lived in a house before and it's obviously worrying her, as she's 2yrs old - Whereas Benny has lived indoors for a few months now and feels secure in his cage - although he hates me vacuuming and cooking still - If your bunnies had their own room I think they'd be fine - luxury! :D

It depends on the rabbit i think. My bun lives outside but often comes into the house for a nosey. It does'nt matter if im hoovering or if the music is on full blast it does'nt bother her but i can imagine some buns would'nt come near.

rabbits and household disruption

Hi, my house bunny has never really wooried about noise. He flops out and I hoover around him and he does not move. Also when the two dogs rush to the door barking he does not move a whisker! I suppose it does depend on the rabbit. He has a very calm and easy going nature. The only thing that does frighten him is if he is in the garden and a magpie or biggish bird makes a loud noise. He rushes for home as fast as he can, bless him. Good luck with your new bunnies, let us know when you get them. Pam

smokie isnt bothered by much, the only thing that freaks her out is the vacuum, but when we got her she used to be terrified of planes overhead so guess it sounds like a very loud plane!

I think loud noises would scare a bun, but I find they are quite adaptable to different enviornments. Mine live outside, and are usually ok with louds noises and stuff - BUT I live on the edge of Salisbury Plain so they are used to the guns going off and low-flying planes. When they were babies they got a bit scared, but I spent a lot of time sitting with them to reasure them it was ok and now they are fine. When bonfire night came round last year they didn't even bat an eyelid when the neighbours let some off. I do think this may be an exception to the rule though.

As long as they are carefully and gradually introduced to strange noises they should be ok.

as the others say its down to the buns personality. if you get them before the works done try and chose some buns which seem more confident and you shouldnt have a problem.

Are you getting babies or an older pair?

Sylvia I had from a baby and LOVES the hoover (eg). Generally she is not phased by any indoor noises. Oli (from a rescue) got used to it and is similar.

The other two (also from a rescue as older rabbits) hate any household noises, esp the hoover, banging, sometimes talking! and thump their little feet. They don't like aeroplanes flying overhead when they are in the garden, but other outdoor noises they are fine with, eg dogs barking, birds etc. They were outside before so I guess they are still getting used to being indoors.

If you get babies, providing they are fairly relaxed, I think they will get used to it pretty quickly. As long as they have their own room and feel safe, I'm sure they will be fine. b-m

My two bunnies aren't bothered by indoor noises like hoovering or the washing machine but then they get scared by noises outside like dogs barking and the lawnmower. I guess like the others say, it depends where the bunny is used to living.
As long as you reassured them and weren't too loud all at once I think they would be okay.

Our rabbit isn't phased by the noises, she runs to the door whenthe bell goes despite the dog barking. Just looks long sufering when I hoover, ignores the kids arguing, watches certain programmes (or appears to).

Rose

Our 2 are not really fussed by any noises, the washing machine is fine as is most cooking but they don't seem to like the noise of frying! Other than that they are desperate to investigate what all the noises are. The only thing is they don't reckon too much to my taste in music...mind you neither does my fiancee!!! :p

it is defintely the hoover which gets Mischa and Lola-they hate it! other noises don't seem to bother rhem too much although the mobile phone and house phone would stop them doing what they were doing and listen. they don't seem bothered by music and have got used to the different noises from the tv. but it is the hoover that gets them scuttling back into their hutch. tend to put it on for a few seconds so that this prewarns them before using it. not that i do much hoovering anyway!

Back