• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing in the winter months

kitty52

New Kit
Hi, I have one rabbit and two G/pigs the rabbit has his own hutch and G/pigs share a hutch. Normally I bring them into the kitchen during the winter months but due to a new kitchen there is no room for them this year. The only other room they could go in is the bedroom but the other half has said no :( . I don't really want to have to buy a shed as the garden wouldn't really accommodate one. I really don't like the thought of them being left in the garden during the winter. What do others do to protect their outdoor furries from winter weather?

You can bring the hutches up to the house and put them up against the house wall, and then you just need some tarpaling to keep the rain out. Rabbits are very hardy and do not need cosetting, pigs should be ok if it gets rearly cold then extra bedding. Remember not to cover to well or it will get humid in there cages ideal for germs to breed. Most of mine are in sheds but perminant vetilation ensures that its only a degree warmer in the shed than outdoors.I have never used a blanket i can see no need just keep the rain and draughts out. val

I have heard of peopel using hot water bottles????????? But i don't know how they go and have never used them.

How cold does it get??? Just so we know how cold we are talking about?

hi

One rabbit on its own might feel the cold a bit more, and I know piggies are ideally indoors in winter - so putting the hutches against the house wall is the next best thing I guess as it never goes down to freezing that close to the house - I know some people put bubble wrap around their hutch back and sides, as well as tarpaulin to keep off the rain (get it from camping supplies) and if you put a renewable cardboard box inside the piggies bedroom full of hay they will be double insulated there, so should be fine. On really wet days I guess you will have to leave them covered up all day and night too, so make sure they can breathe :)

kitty52 said:
Hi, I have one rabbit and two G/pigs the rabbit has his own hutch and G/pigs share a hutch. Normally I bring them into the kitchen during the winter months but due to a new kitchen there is no room for them this year. The only other room they could go in is the bedroom but the other half has said no :( . I don't really want to have to buy a shed as the garden wouldn't really accommodate one. I really don't like the thought of them being left in the garden during the winter. What do others do to protect their outdoor furries from winter weather?

When it gets cold and you get in bed with your OH lie there and keep saying 'oh poor piggies, its sooo cold out there, do you think they are ok? will they freeze? i'm so worried, i don't think i'll sleep' If you go on and on in the end he'll probably say 'oh for gods sake woman bring them inside then! anything for some peace and quiet' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats how it works in my house anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last winter I put bubble wrap around the hutches and extra roofing felt on the top. This year I've ordered the hutch huggers from Scratch and Newton - expensive but hopefully worth it (will be delivered today.) I haven't gone for the additional insulation that you can get as thats mega expensive. Last year I'd put a snugglesafe heat pad in the hutches at night - don't know if they were bothered or not but at least it was there. I think buns are hardier than we give them credit for - mine love hopping around outside especially in the snow - I think they're big kids at heart :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That sounds like a good plan :D
Guineas are best indoors in the winter.

The best thing for your rabbit is to get him a companion :D

hi

More to the point - and this is what decided me to make my animals indoor piggies/bunnies - or at least in the shed....What about you?? Standing by a hutch in the freezing cold, rain lashing in your face... :shock: I thought no way am I going to do that!! So we are cramped in our little house, but at least I can enjoy looking after my pets in comfort :D

Re: hi

Thanks for eveybody's suggestions.

elve said:
More to the point - and this is what decided me to make my animals indoor piggies/bunnies - or at least in the shed....What about you?? Standing by a hutch in the freezing cold, rain lashing in your face... :shock: I thought no way am I going to do that!! So we are cramped in our little house, but at least I can enjoy looking after my pets in comfort :D

Normally I do bring them and I think exactly the same. I wouldn't want to be out there and I feel awful knowing the dogs are tucked up nice and warm while the bun and pigs are out in the cold :(

doorkeeper said:
That sounds like a good plan
Guineas are best indoors in the winter.

The best thing for your rabbit is to get him a companion

:lol: Been telling other half that for the past year but he just isn't having any of it :(

Estelle said:
When it gets cold and you get in bed with your OH lie there and keep saying 'oh poor piggies, its sooo cold out there, do you think they are ok? will they freeze? i'm so worried, i don't think i'll sleep' If you go on and on in the end he'll probably say 'oh for gods sake woman bring them inside then! anything for some peace and quiet'
Thats how it works in my house anyway

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good plan will start operation "nag other half to get my own way" tonight. :thumb:

Has anyone built their own enclosure's for their buns. I was thinking of getting the other half to build "something" to keep the hutches in that wouldn't be a big as a shed. Anyone got any ideas?

This is what my rabbit live in. Its a storage shed so not as big as a standard shed. We have a run attatched to the side of it. You could fit two hutches in it one on top of the other and drill some holes in the door for ventilation. The doors could be open in the day for sunlight and close them at night to keep out draughts.

shed.jpg

shed2.jpg

Estelle said:
When it gets cold and you get in bed with your OH lie there and keep saying 'oh poor piggies, its sooo cold out there, do you think they are ok? will they freeze? i'm so worried, i don't think i'll sleep' If you go on and on in the end he'll probably say 'oh for gods sake woman bring them inside then! anything for some peace and quiet' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats how it works in my house anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

I second this tactics. Say things like "A warm person sitting next to a fire place never know what it is like to be cold outside."

Or:

"these little guys has to go thru upoming Christmas cold and dark in the outside, how sad"

If your husband respect you well enough, he should yield for a small matter like the well being of little creatures. :D

i just spent the weekend sorting Moet and Chandons hutch. because the back and floor of the hutch was just a thin layer of plywood i bought more from B+Q and added it on. the back of the hutch i got tongue and groove and sorted that on tho' it was a pain to cut as the roof goes to an apex and my mitre saw wouldn't stretch to the angle i needed so had to hand saw it!
my main concern at the moment is all this rain! although their hutch is well covered depending on the wind direction some damp tends to creep in. last night i pulled down their waterproof front cover but although this keeps the worst of it out there was still some dampness this morning. i feel sorry for them because they are not coming out to play in this weather - they have a huge run with a lower and upper level which they love but they are sitting in their hutch keeping out of the rain!

I think rabbits are fine outside, they are afterall used to it, they grow thicker coats to keep them warm and as long as you cover them with a blanket and waterproof, as well as supplying alot more hay in their hutch they will be fine.

I got one of those snugglesafe things for Alfie for when it gets cold, plus when i can eventually get him a friend (after he is neatured) they will snuggle together!

I personally dont think its a good idea to bring the rabbits inside unless they are going to stay inside all day as well. If they stay inside at night but are outside during the day it can't be good for them??

Other half has agreed to bring the rabbit and Gpigs in the house for the winter. I managed to convince him due to the "freeze" thats heading our way this winter. His major issue is the hutches and the smell I know that I can put the Gpigs in a cage but what about the rabbit. I know that a cage isn't suitable for a rabbit but how do people keep your indoor rabbits?

thanks.

Squidgy has a double hutch in the corner of our dining room. He's out all day and he has a throw on the floor in front of the hutch to sit and play on. At night, we shut him in. :( He's a netherland dwarf, so he has lots of room in the hutch.
hutch.jpg

Dog crates are the best thing for rabbits indoors, and they are cheaper than guinea cages too, at least if you buy them from ebay - a 48" crate is about £35 and £6 shipping atm. In my kitchen I have a crate with a pice of conti-board on it to act as extra table space, and also another piece inside it making a shelf that the guineas live on - so two cages in one :D The conti board came from B&Q and they will cut it to size for you too. I use vet bed inside it which just wraps around the mess when I clean it out, then a quick spray and wipe and in with a clean piece. I have an inset piece to stop the guineas falling out as the side door is always open for the rabbits. And the guineas get run around time on the floor too.

Back