• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 month old female bunny found humping her 'brother'...

Patches24

Young Bun
Hi Everyone

Is it normal for female bunnies to hump things? Last night I found Blossom humping Patches' head - very disturbing lol! Is this normal for little girl bunnies?

Thank you!

Sarah

hi there females hump for dominance, you should not have a unspayed female with a unneutered male otherwise you will end up with litters (please split them now)

oh oh , baby bunnies may be a result of this . I agree , get them seperated just now - at least until they are neutered . Even then it will take a few weeks before they can be put together again .

If they are 3 months then you don't need to separate as he is old enough to be neutered NOW.
If they are older than this you might be too late. Please do not allow them to breed as rescues are overflowing with rabbits - everyone of your babies could take a home that a rescue bun could have had. Also it is very bad to breed brother and sister as hidden health problems are much more likely to occur.

Patches24 said:
Hi Everyone

Is it normal for female bunnies to hump things? Last night I found Blossom humping Patches' head - very disturbing lol! Is this normal for little girl bunnies?

Thank you!

Sarah

Hi and Welcome!

Firstly are you absolutely sure about their sex? It is just that quite often places like pet shops etc get the sex wrong so could have two of one sex or one of each like you believe.

Yes girl rabbits will "hump" to assert dominance over their partners but usually only if they aren't spayed. How old is Patch and is he neutered as Blossom is just a bit young to be spayed yet?

As the others said you are getting to the age when Patch could get Blossom pregnant if he isn't neutered and trying to find good homes for crossbreed bunnies will be difficult - you may end up adding to the numbers of buns waiting for homes in rescues. Not to mention the health risks of such a young bunny giving birth to her brother's babies!

If Patch is older and neutered and Blossom's behaviour gets worse you may need to consider spaying her too. Not only does this prevent her getting uterine cancer (the greatest killer of older female bunnies) but it will make her calmer, less aggressive and will stop phantom pregnancies.

Caz

Hi Everyone

I should've said before that Patches IS neutered!!! I wouldn't have them together otherwise! I don't want little baby bunnies so believe me it won't be happening! Thanks for the advice from everyone. I will be getting Blossom neutered in a few months and am pretty sure she's a girl! I've checked myself! Really funny that she's asserting herself as she's generally quite placid ha ha! Poor Patches doesn't know what to make of it all!

Thanks again!

Sarah

My bun Ginny "humps" her bonded partner Ron. Both are neutered before anyone asks.

Ginny is definately the bun that wears the trousers in that relationship. Mind you she only started to "hump" Ron since she got spayed.

dandilion and clover humped eachother in the spring time....all the time but never fought....they were sisters!!

Back