• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SDA in rabbits?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

i have 27 rats(was 28 before sunday) and they have all came down with a virus called SDA. it has already killed one and 3 others are quite ill with it :( although thankfully they seem to be improving. it was brought in by 4 baby rats that bought from a pet shop a good 5/6 weeks ago. the same pet shop where i got Gabriel from, and they all came from the same rodent farm.

i was wondering if there is any chance at all that it could effect Gabriel? or any of my other pets for that matter(hamster and 2 guinea pigs)

i did mean to ask my vet but i was in with her for over 1/2 an hour and it completely slipped my mind!

would really appreciate the replies as Gabriel has been kept in his cage the past few days as i was unsure and didnt want to risk it but he is dying to get back out and im feeling so bad about it.

I have just done an internet search on Sialodacryoadentitis Virus there are only references to mice and rats on the results.

I have no idea about cross contamination to other animals. The only thing I can think for now that you can do is practice good hygeine between handling your animals with the use of disposable gloves and changing clothes between touching each group of animal. It may be wise to handle your rabbits and hamsters first prior to attending to your rats.

I do hope that your sick rats improve quickly.

Janice

thanks for the reply. the problem is that they are all in the same room and SDA can be spread through the air as well as contact apperently which is how my other rats came to be infected(as i was already washing my hands and changing my clothes in between handling the newbies and my others) and Gabriel usually comes out and has the whole of upstairs to run around :?
none of my other pets including Gabriel have shown any signs of being sick at all but i wanted to check as i feel bad enough as it is without anyone else getting sick :(

Hiya,

I'd give your vet a call tommorow and ask. Most vets are happy to answer a quick question over the phone if you've forgotton to ask something :)

Best wishes,
Tamsin

well im actually up there tommorrow to collect a prescription so will probably ask then but thought i would check here first! thanks for the replies anyway, will let you know what they say!

sda

OMG I have never heard of this virus :( what are the sytems :?: my ratfinks dont come into contact with any others so I hope they are O.K. but i will do a internet search & find out about it :(

I'd never heard of it either but will be researching it now as I have Rats and buns

thanks for the replies. i asked my vet this morning and she said that it wont affect Gabriel :D she also said that it shouldnt effect the piggies but to keep an eye on Eddie(hamster) because she isnt as sure with hamsters so im to be more cautious with him.

So Gabriel was let out today after nearly a week of having to stay in his crate and boy was he happy! he has been binkying everywhere! hes also intent on destroying things and is being a bit moody so i think hes upset with us! but we'l win him round with some cuddles :wink:

Back