• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing Madness

bubble

Young Bun
Hi All,

We bought Thingammy Jig home yesterday, and everything was fine, she had a wander round the house, having a sniff here, a sniff there... she sprayed in the corner where we used to keep Fistral's litter tray. All that was fine by me...

Unfortunately this morning when we let her into the lounge, she has decided she is going to chew EVERYTHING... At the moment, she has broken the controllers for the PlayStation in the lounge by chewing through the casing of the cable... She has food and hay when in the house, and we have toys on the floor that she can nibble on, but she seems intent on nibbling the electronics!! :?

We have tried shouting her name and clapping our hands and saying NO very sternly, but nothing seems to work...

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can stop her from nibbling stuff in the house?

Thanks

Lizzie and Chris

How about those 'cable tidy' things that wrap around wires? Or a length of hose, cut down one side and then thread your wires inside?
Bitterbite sprayed on the wires might help? Or possibly fencing off the bits of the house with electricals?

if you cat6ch her doing it do the name shouting thing then put her in her cage for 10 mins or so and ignore her for that perod of time then let her out agine repeat if she chews agine she will get the mesage that you dont like that behavour

http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/freerange.asp

Might be worth a look at the above - I have three indoor House bunnies and have found the best way to introduce them to their new found freedom is definately gradually - this way you can hopefully achieve the most non distructive result. Any bunny suddenly given the free range of their environment is going to be over whelmed and you'll struggle to get them out of the habbit once they get homed in on chewing everything in sight.

Also a good idea as mentioned above to ensure you have a bunny proof environment for them.

Hope this helps. :wink:

I agree with Lany, introducing the bun gradually will also allow you to see where the bun is going to go, sometimes they get into the smallest places that you wouldn't expect them to!

I block off areas where we have a lot of wires and even then I have covered them in the clear tubing stuff you can get from DIY shops to cover the wires. That way, even if she does get to the bits that are blocked off, we will have a better chance of getting to her before she chews through any wires as it will take her longer to get through the clear tubing over the wires! :wink:

Back