• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No nonsence approach to bunny bonding and neutering

Sweetie said:
Hi Everyone.

I notice that Cheryl has said that the sex doesnt matter, ie male/male, female/female or the more common male/female.

What are everyone elses thoughts about this?

The general idea I have from people on this forum as a whole is that male/female are the easiest and most successful

Thanks Guys
xx

I've got 3 boys together that get along great. Saying that, they are all my incisor-less buns so I felt a bit more confident doing it!
I've just got a female companion for my lone male, and was very tempted to try bonding all 5 once the girly's had 'the op'.

Just another question about bonding! We are very lucky that our bunnies are being bonded before we get them by the rescue centre...the problem is that I am on tenta hooks waiting to get them! I'm so excited i can barely contain myself! How long does the bonding process take?

Melanie

It's a bit "how long is a bit of string". If they are being left together all the time, they may well be ok after day 1 but I'd say probably around 3 days to be sure that they are absolutely fine together. But if you're unlucky, it could take a lot longer! It's really very hard to tell.

Look forwards to hearing about your new bunnies when you get them home (and pictures of course!)

Wow! That was quick!

Thank you for your reply! I don't know how the rescue centre is doing it but when we went to visit them they seemed very experienced and caring so I'm sure that it will be done in the best way possible. I just hope and pray that they like each other... :?

i will keep the site updated!

Melanie

melaniejb said:
Wow! That was quick!

Thank you for your reply! I don't know how the rescue centre is doing it but when we went to visit them they seemed very experienced and caring so I'm sure that it will be done in the best way possible. I just hope and pray that they like each other... :?

i will keep the site updated!

Melanie

i see u r in london which rescue did you use if u dont mind me asking?

Eve x

We are getting them from the heathlands one at royston in Hertfordshire. It's quite a long way away (about 1.5 hours in the car each way) but we really wanted to rehome rabbits rather than buy them from a pet shop/breeder. we also wanted a lop and couldnt find any to rehome in london. i was quite surprised when we were looking for rabbits that there are so few rescue places in london.

melaniejb said:
We are getting them from the heathlands one at royston in Hertfordshire. It's quite a long way away (about 1.5 hours in the car each way) but we really wanted to rehome rabbits rather than buy them from a pet shop/breeder. we also wanted a lop and couldnt find any to rehome in london. i was quite surprised when we were looking for rabbits that there are so few rescue places in london.

oh great i got one of mine from them! yes you are right there are so few in london, which i had th emoney i would get one started!

Shame you missed me im in london and have a few lops including a pair of mini lops both done , one is blue and the other aguti. val

I've looked at the link that you sent me! Those rabbits a goreous. When we were searching on rabbitrehome for rabbits in london, there were so few posted hence we went further afield. If we ever get any more or if I hear of anyone interested in rehoming rabbits I will pass your details on.

Melanie

any advice on bonding 4 bunnies together? Moet and Chandon are 1 year old and live outside in Bunny Palace. Mischa and Lola are 12 weeks and are in the house and have just completed all their vaccinations. Moet and Chandon have both been neutered and Moet being the female is the dominant partner in that pairing. my idea is to add an extension on the bunny palace and put Mischa and Lola out there eventually although i may wait till after the winter now.
they have all seen each other as i've had the wee ones out in the garden and M+C have seen them. likewise M+C have been indoors for their grooming session and seen Mischa and Lola. chandon's reaction has been odd, he jumped back up into my arms after seeing them in the house!
any advice would be great cause i want them all to be happy together.
thanks
Gill

I personaly dont agree as ive said in the past with trying this as its not easy and fights are common sometimes with tragic results, there are people on this forum that have done this and will be able to give you advise. Your doe being [normal lol] teritorial over her partner will not take kindly to another female so if you procede it may well be wise to build another run ajoing but seperate to your exsisting pair so you can get them used to each other it may well take a long time. val

Very interesting forum, this is my first time bonding and I wish it was that easy, Im really nervous! I have a male and a female (both been done!) that I wnat to bond. I have tried a few car journeys and leaving them in a neutral space. They intermittently fight and then star at each other. Im not sure how long i am supposed to leave them for? It upsets me watching them fight so i always give up. Has anyone got any advice... when fur is flying are they actually hurting each other? How will i know that they are ready to share a bedroom?
Thanks
Nicky

Fur flying isnt to bad its usualy them sorting out whos boss [ usualy the female] :lol: . It maybe different with house bunnies but i just put them in a cage together and they can have there fur fight but i would give up if they hurt each other and by that i mean draw blood. val

Help me please!

Got 2 Dutch sisters, took them for vaccinations, turned out to be 2 dutch brothers! Vet said take back in 2 wks for neutering. After 1 week came home to find harly with big cut on head, had been fighting. Reintoduced them in garden 2 wks after neutering, fighting again (quite viscious) had to be seperated. Now 5 wks since neutering. Reintroduced a couple of days ago. Spent about 30 mins fighting/playing - not nearly as viscious as before (or would have split them up), jumping on one another and pulling fur, but then seperating for a while, then starting again. My partner said this was probably them just getting used to one another again and finding out who was boss. I've let them out together in garden twice since and seem to be pretty much stayin at opposite ends of garden, away from 1 another. Took them into house together last night. Harly seems scared of Honey. Tried to keep away, kept running/moving away frm him. Seemed to me like other one jst wanted to play, but I wasnt sure, but then they came nose to nose, had a sniff, and Honey scraped the ground with his front paws and sprayed some urine backwards. Is this aggresive behaviour? At times Harly thumped his back feet on the floor quite hard. I am hoping to reintroduce them to share a hutch and run (they did before the first fight). Ideally I want to perservere in getting them together,as I think it'll be better for them as they do seem lonely without the other. Harly has seemed bored the last couple of weeks, and very quiet compared to usual, but I don't want to stress Harly out by forcing them together if he is going to be unhappy with this. I kept Harly in the hutch and run that they are hopefully both to live in, as he is the less dominant one, but I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. Someone told me I should now swap them over so scents get mingled, did that last night and Honey immediatly started digging and scrabling where Harly used as his toilet corner, even though I had disinfected it, as if he was desperate to get to the scent. Harly was more laid back and just kind of sniffed everything. I am hoping that if I kept putting them together and letting them spend time together they would get used to one another, but others on the forum have said that maybe it's too late to bond as they have already fought, and maybe Harly will be bullied and will not be able to develop his personality properly? Please help any advice would be appreciated??If they can't get on I will have to consider rehoming 1 and then the other will be by themselves and I work so will probably get lonely, and I really don't want to have to give 1 away as I love them both. I've never kept rabbits before so I don't know what they/re doing means and what I should do to encourage them.

Re: Help me please!

lucyj said:
Got 2 Dutch sisters, took them for vaccinations, turned out to be 2 dutch brothers! Vet said take back in 2 wks for neutering. After 1 week came home to find harly with big cut on head, had been fighting. Reintoduced them in garden 2 wks after neutering, fighting again (quite viscious) had to be seperated. Now 5 wks since neutering. Reintroduced a couple of days ago. Spent about 30 mins fighting/playing - not nearly as viscious as before (or would have split them up), jumping on one another and pulling fur, but then seperating for a while, then starting again. My partner said this was probably them just getting used to one another again and finding out who was boss. I've let them out together in garden twice since and seem to be pretty much stayin at opposite ends of garden, away from 1 another. Took them into house together last night. Harly seems scared of Honey. Tried to keep away, kept running/moving away frm him. Seemed to me like other one jst wanted to play, but I wasnt sure, but then they came nose to nose, had a sniff, and Honey scraped the ground with his front paws and sprayed some urine backwards. Is this aggresive behaviour? At times Harly thumped his back feet on the floor quite hard. I am hoping to reintroduce them to share a hutch and run (they did before the first fight). Ideally I want to perservere in getting them together,as I think it'll be better for them as they do seem lonely without the other. Harly has seemed bored the last couple of weeks, and very quiet compared to usual, but I don't want to stress Harly out by forcing them together if he is going to be unhappy with this. I kept Harly in the hutch and run that they are hopefully both to live in, as he is the less dominant one, but I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. Someone told me I should now swap them over so scents get mingled, did that last night and Honey immediatly started digging and scrabling where Harly used as his toilet corner, even though I had disinfected it, as if he was desperate to get to the scent. Harly was more laid back and just kind of sniffed everything. I am hoping that if I kept putting them together and letting them spend time together they would get used to one another, but others on the forum have said that maybe it's too late to bond as they have already fought, and maybe Harly will be bullied and will not be able to develop his personality properly? Please help any advice would be appreciated??If they can't get on I will have to consider rehoming 1 and then the other will be by themselves and I work so will probably get lonely, and I really don't want to have to give 1 away as I love them both. I've never kept rabbits before so I don't know what they/re doing means and what I should do to encourage them.

Hi Lucy
I think you should try them on neutral territory- somewhere they haven't been before as they may both regard the garden as theirs and will fight.

If it could be a room in your house that would be ideal. Have toys and food around to distract them and a water bottle to squirt them with if they fight. Humping, jumping over each other and fur pulling is just them trying to establish who is boss.
Some good advice someone gave me on here is not to seperate them unless they are really biting - drawing blood etc. Rabbits skin is very thin so you need to be careful with this. After two hours they will settle down= you just need to ride out the fur pulling etc.

The reason a room in your house would be a good idea is you could leave them there for a few days if they seem to be getting on ok- I left mine for 9 days on neutral territory which was probably longer than necessary but this gave the doe time to forget about her outside territory, which I scrubbed with soap and hot water, then used an animal friendly disinfectant.

Just make sure you supervise them when you try them together.

I'm looking to bond all 6 of mine (once Domino arrives and she has settled in). That way they could all have free run of the living room rather than being segregated into three pairs.

I'll take your tips into account and hopefully all will go well! :? :shock:

AMETHYST

Back