• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No nonsence approach to bunny bonding and neutering

hi

I would just give the upper bit inside the shed a lick of paint before bed - the smell should be enough to confuse them over whos shed it is?

Just to add my twopennith lol. ive only ever had one rabbit that refused to have a partner. Shes a doe and ive lost count of the males ive offered her shes fine on her own. As a rule being a breeder as well as a rescue i always after introducing a pair in a run, then put the pair back in the males hutch.This is best because does can be terretorial about there own space. They are left together from then on. Sometimes they will have a minor tiff but thats usualy the doe laying the law down . Ive never had any further bother and after a few days there the best of friends. The only time i would part them is if they hurt eachother then i would re think and swop them to different partners. As a rule i would agree that any two rabbits can be bonded with little fuss.My average is pairing about 30 rabbits a year, this includes pairings to rabbits that have lost there partners val

sgprescue said:
After reading a lot of posts on the forum lately I felt I needed to start a thread on bonding. Many people seem to faf around when it comes to bonding and there really isnt any need for it. Over the years I have paired up hundreds of bunnies and found the way I do things to be the easiest and least stressfull on the bunnies.

single or pair?
I have on many occasions heard people mention that their rabbit does not get on with another one. With the number of bunnies I have had through my doors I have NEVER found one that I couldnt pair up. If given enough space, matched up in the correct way (see below) and neutered first then there is no reason for bunny not to get on with another one.

Neutering
This part is very important. It can be very difficult to bond hormonal un-neutered bunnies so neutering first is essential. I always get ALL bunnies neutered before bonding them and find this the easiest way to do it. If you have a male/female pair and only get the male done then at some point the female will become hormonal and increase the chances of a disagreement.

Which sex?
It doesnt matter if you have 2 males, 2 females or a male/female pair, as long as they are neutered at the correct age and paired up correctly any of the above can work. If you have 2 boys or 2 girls that are growing up together it is important to get them neutered before the hormones kick in, this will obviously depend on your vet but my vet neuters boys as soon as their testicles drop (usually around 12 weeks depending on breed) and the girls as soon as they are 1kg in weight (around 14 weeks for an average dwarf lop). There are many benefits from having them neutered at such a young age. With the boys, their hormones will not have kicked in yet so you can drasticaly increase the chances of them staying together. With the girls, the operation is not so severe at a young age, adult does develop a layer of fat around the uterus meaning there is more for the vet to cut through to get to it. I recently had 2 litters of dwarf lops and all of the males and females were neutered at 14 weeks, within a week after the op they were all healed up.

When to bond
Forget all this nonsence about leaving it 6 weeks. The only time you need to leave it that long is if you are matching up a neutered male with an un-neutered female. I often get single males and females neutered at the same time and pair them up 10 - 14 days later. As long as their stitches have healed there is no reason not to pair them up. I have found very little difference in the temperament of a bunny that has been neutered for 2 weeks from one that has been neutered 6 weeks. Once you have put 2 bunnies together do not seperate them, they need to establish their territory and who is boss, seperating them even if it is overnight will not help this process.

Where?
It is very important to match them up on neutral territory and away from other rabbits. Usually a large run in the garden is best. Put both bunnies in there at the same time and then leave them there for a few hours. ONLY seperate them if they are starting to injure each other. You must expect a bit of chasing, mounting and possibly a little bit of fur flying but this is perfectly normal and will soon settle down. Most importantly, DO NOT TOUCH THEM during the bonding process.

Some of you may find my methods a little harsh, however they are the most successful and least stressfull on the bunnies. I have many groups and pairs of bunnies here that are all very happy and healthy and I have never observed any arguments between them. If anyone is still having problems after trying the above send them over to me, I am always up for a challenge :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheryl

Ok Cheryl i'll send them over to you to sort out :shock:

All of my rabbits live together in a big run that takes up most of my garden. The reason is that I had couples of rabbits all over my house in the end I got them all nuetered made the run and just chucked em in together I have never seen any of them have a proper fight. And there so much easier to look after all in one place

You have been lucky then. Poor Amber lost a piece of her ear today in a disasterous bonding attempt :cry:

Am keeping an eye on your threesome thread as i might have the same challenge. Can i also add that buying a new litter tray helps or put the old one in the dishwasher.

I wouldn't worry about bonding a male and a female. I'm sure they will be fine. Its the two females that went for each other.

Just try putting them together in neutral territory. I'm sure they will be ok. If they fight try clapping or squirt with water spray to distract them. Males and females usually get on well. Good luck :D

Your room isn't neutral for Millie - she considers it hers and putting a male into a female's territory can be tricky (can work the other way round though).

Try the bathroom unless there are holes they can disappear through or the kitchen (obviously keep the dogs away ;) )!

Caz

Hi Everyone.

I notice that Cheryl has said that the sex doesnt matter, ie male/male, female/female or the more common male/female.

What are everyone elses thoughts about this?

The general idea I have from people on this forum as a whole is that male/female are the easiest and most successful

Thanks Guys
xx

If they're neuter then same sex pairings can work. I paired up a 6 year old male with a three year old mmale very easily - no bother at all.

Saying that though our first two rabbit were males and they started fighting even after neutering it was impossible to get the back together.

We tried bonding them in a neutral run and were told to let them sort it out themselves and tip a bucket of water over them to seperate them if they faught and that they'd learn not to (I know but we didn't know better then). All we ended up with was two drenched rabbits kicking each other to pieces.

Eventually we gave up and got them a girlfriend each instead. Even now I can't think of anything that would have got them together.

I agree that virtually every bunny can be paired up but if you already have two rabbits and don't have the luxury of dating to find the match making it work can be more difficult.

Tam

Ok quick question Buster and yet to be named girl bunny were in neutral territory this morning and got on fine - they are now in the new hutch (neither of them have been in) and are trying to establish a heirarchy. do i leave them to ? Also what about tonight ?

I suppose the answer is leave them together, if all is going well, could you put the hutch in your living room or bedroom just for tonight so you could hear them if they start to fight? When I bonded the boys I started the process early in the morning so we had watched them for hours before we left them for the night .... I can tell you I didnt sleep to well and was back in the shed at the crack of dawn :roll:

Good luck, its sounds as if its going well :D

Its been about two hours and they are still trying to establish territory - fur pulling and humping - thats right isnt it ?
Is it still ok to leave them ?

There was lots of humping with the boys but in between the humping they snuggled together ........ but mine had the advantage of knowing each other by sight and smell all ready...... What are they doing between humping each other? I think as long as there is no agression they should be fine

Back