• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit eglu made by Omlet

vanessa

Warren Scout
Hi
Just wondered if anyone has bought a rabbit eglu from Omlet (they are a newish invention, plastic housing with fox-proof run. They look fab and provide a lot of space for bunnies, but are quite expensive and so I'm trying to find out people's opinions of them before I buy! Can't remember what the site is called now, but if you want to read about the eglus just put in Omlet and it will come up saying something about chickens because they also make an eglu for chickens as well.
Vanessa

They're not very good height wise I believe, I wouldn't reccommend them but then thats just my opinion, I'm sure others can give you better advice

The run has a huge 2.1 square metres (23 sqft) of space for your rabbits to play in and with a height of 80cm (31inches) plenty of room for them to stand upright. Giving your rabbits all this space will ensure that they get the exercise they need to develop strong bones, stay fit and healthy.

Im pretty sure it's tall enough but im no expert...I think i read on here that the minimum run size should be 5'x2'x2'? I cant find the measurements..

The site url is http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Rabbits

I know a few people that have them and they like them, easy to clean etc .
I also know someone who keeps a house bun free range asn uses that as a base (without the run) but its never closed.

I fancied the idea, but i like putting harvey to bed when we go as we cant keep an eye on him and those seem dark and clautraphobis looking if they are closed... but as an outside extension holiday home it would be ideal.

The only downer is they are £350 :( I wouldnt have one for Harvey indoors, but outside would be fun!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=9566&highlight=eglu Humphrey and Tilly have one it might be worth pm'ing their new owner.

My own feeling is that they are excellent for a day time run but not good for all the time use. The sleeping compartment is tiny and is too small for wet or really cold days. If money was no object (in our rescue) I would love all my buns and piggies to have them they look so much tidier than wooden runs however money is an object, so no way. £350 that is 10 piggie castrates :? :shock: I cannot justify spending the money which could be spent in other ways on an eglu.

Janice

My neighbour has one for their chickens (as well as fencing off a large bit of their garden for them). They do look nice, but for £350 you could get something so much bigger and better (e.g. a bunny shed)

jrn1310 said:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=9566&highlight=eglu Humphrey and Tilly have one it might be worth pm'ing their new owner.

My own feeling is that they are excellent for a day time run but not good for all the time use. The sleeping compartment is tiny and is too small for wet or really cold days.
Janice

I kind of agree Janice, I'm only using it as a day thing. Spoke to the makers the other day and they said they are designed to keep the rabbits out all the time, but personally I have a problem with that because I don't think rabbits should be simply kept out in the garden - for me, they should be part of the family, like a cat or a dog. Also with Tilly's bad eye, there is no way I could leave her out at the moment as for 2 weeks I was giving her medicine twice a day and now I want to keep an eye on it (excuse the pun).

The Eglu part is really designed to be attached to the run (which has ample height to it); you couldn't just keep the rabbits in the pod with the door shut - it's too small. You could, however, us it indoors with the door open. It is very big though and not all that easy to move about. Funny thing is my buns hardly ever go inside the pod, and (as I suspected before I bought it) have rather ended up using it as a very expensive toilet! I have filled it with hay too but they seem to prefer to eat the hay out of the hay rack.

There are a few faults with the water bottle/hay rack fixings etc but I've reported this and they're looking into it. There is also a winter cover which covers the entire run which I have on at the moment, so if it does rain the buns can still play out. More of a problem is how wet the ground gets (mine is on grass).

Pls pm me if you need more info. b-m

I don't think its big enough and like someone said, what a waste of money when you could buy or build something much bigger for half the price.

How many rabbits can I keep in my eglu?
Rabbits vary greatly in size. A guide is that 2-3 medium sized rabbits such as an English lop will be fine in the eglu. A single large rabbit like a French lop will live happily in the eglu. If you have a small breed such as the Netherland dwarf you can keep between 3 and 4 in an eglu.

I would think it only has room for one rabbit, which is too small obviously as rabbits should be kept in pairs or more. It looks cool but the size is just far too small in my opinion.

neeshkabeesh said:
I don't think its big enough and like someone said, what a waste of money when you could buy or build something much bigger for half the price.

That depends on your opinion!! I think they are great personally. There is more to them than just a bit of plastic and a wire run. Not all of us have the space to build a huge 'bunny shed', nor do I want to ruin my garden by making it into a giant rabbit run (not to mention the fact I would be divorced pretty quickly).

The Eglu looks great, is extremely secure, easy to clean, fox-proof, gives your rabbits tonnes of room incl additional height within the run which I have to say many morrant hutches do not provide. It is also designed to keep an even temperature within the pod, in summer AND in winter. Yes it is expensive but there is nothing else like this on the market (yet). They have obviously spent quite a bit of money developing this product, and they are going to have to charge a high price for it initially. Imo (as someone who actually uses this product) it is a brilliant and innovative design. b-m

Back