• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive rabbit

cassie10

New Kit
Hello everyone
My rabbit Misty is around 2 Months old now and has been great up until now. A couple of weeks ago she started growling and lunging at me when i put my hand in the hutch, I don't understand why she has just started doing this as i feed her at the same time everyday and she was very affectionate
i'm very :( about this and hope someone can help me on this, I have looked at the rabbit Behaviour thing on the problem rabbit problems bit but can't find anything that helps

Thanks
Lyn

hi

I agree - it sounds like she's getting hormonal now she's maturing, but she can't be spayed until she's at least 6 months old, preferably 8 months, and even then it takes several months for the hormone levels to go down.

It is just a phase but it could last a while, so just try not to provoke her - If she's guarding her hutch then you could put a cat carrier with food in to get her from her hutch to her run (she does get let out I assume - being cooped up all the time will also make her bad tempered)

And with feeding, if you put a big handful of hay in the bedroom compartment of the hutch, she will go in to eat it, then just have 2 food bowls and swap them around quickly, one full for one empty...I guess at her age she's not on veg either - does she eat grass?

Any veg needs to be very gradually introduced, just a tiny square of it for a few weeks, till her tummy get used to it - You can then offer her veg treats through the cage wire, until she lets you get your hand in with a piece of veg without attacking you.

If you can be patient for a few months she will settle down I'm sure, especially if you get her spayed later - she's just being a typical teenage bunny at the moment :?

Re: hi

elve said:
I agree - it sounds like she's getting hormonal now she's maturing, but she can't be spayed until she's at least 6 months old, preferably 8 months, and even then it takes several months for the hormone levels to go down.

I had Sylvia spayed at around 4 months and does can be done from 4 months but I would speak to your vet Cassie and ask what they recommend. If she is already this moody then it will probably be a wise idea to go ahead with it earlier rather than later. 6 months is a recommended age but is not always practical, esp with house rabbits.

You will probably see a change in her behaviour soon after the operation.

b-m

Re: hi

bunny-mad said:
elve said:

I had Sylvia spayed at around 4 months and does can be done from 4 months but I would speak to your vet Cassie and ask what they recommend. If she is already this moody then it will probably be a wise idea to go ahead with it earlier rather than later. 6 months is a recommended age but is not always practical, esp with house rabbits.

You will probably see a change in her behaviour soon after the operation.

b-m

My vet goes by breed, weight & whether they are showing hormonal signs.

Best thing to do is take her to a rabbity vet & see what they think?

Mine def will spay a rabbit from 4 months but only if she feels the rabbit has matured too quickly, weight is good & its usually the larger breeds but we did have a netherland dwarf in once at 5 months & she was successfully spayed (she was being evil to her boyfriend & plucking her fur to make nests to the point she was sore!)

Back