• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"no"

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

im trying to teach joey the word 'no!' but im not being very succesful!!

at the moment when he is being naughty i stop him doing it and then i look at him and say 'no' in a stern voice. is this the right way to teach him? have you got any tips to make him learn?

he'll soon learn although i bet shortly after that he'll either learn to act like he was doing nothing wrong or the other favourite (for lops) drop the ear in font of the eye-i can't see you so you can't see me right?! :lol: :lol: rabbits are too clever...

When I taught my first bun "no" I used to clap my hands twice and then say "no" and his name in a deep stern voice. The clapping usually diverts their attention away from what they were doing, it was only once I'd said it a third time that I would get up to intervene. One time instead of clapping, I used a small water pistol because he had gotten in the habit of doing something he shouldn't and totally ignoring my hand clapping! :roll: hope this helps!

my guess is you should have bought a dog! :lol: :lol: :lol: i dont think they repond that well to that sort of disapline although i have heard clicker training is good!

My bun Dougal translates NO as 'please, continue'!

Had to go on another clothes shopping trip today...

yes you can learn a rabbit "no" ... whether it will take any notice is another matter :lol:

my nemo will stop when i say no.... wait till i go out of the room ....then carry on as if i hadnt said anything.

:roll:

Angie

:lol: :lol: :lol: Arn't they just tinkers eh :!: :!: - I find a clap of the hands really good too -

Mind you Zac does just turn and look at me in disgust whenever I do this :lol: :lol:

When we clap our hands at Yalta - she does a jump and a 180 turn, then the 'butter wouldn't melt in her mouth' look.

She must think that if she moves really quickly away from the * Carpet / Skirting / Cage (* delete as necessary) then we wont realise what she was doing.

Martin + Pam

i always start with no then they learn to ignore it.
so i clap and say no which works until they learn to ignore it (a week??)
then i say no and whistle which works again for a week
then i give up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even dogs like the word no! I find it better to distract from what they are doing and reward them for something you do want to do, whatever the animal .... Reward the good and ignore the bad :)

Beatrix knows the word No, I use to clap my hands at the same time. When I see her chewing through the phone wire I shout NO and she wiggles her bum at me and stops. When I come home after being out I normally find the phone cut off, so she waits until I go out :roll: . I find gaffer tape ore successfull :lol:

SOAD said:
Beatrix knows the word No, I use to clap my hands at the same time. When I see her chewing through the phone wire I shout NO and she wiggles her bum at me and stops. When I come home after being out I normally find the phone cut off, so she waits until I go out :roll: . I find gaffer tape ore successfull :lol:

but its it more that you have startled her tree rather than her understanding the word NO!

She comes to her name too, she the only one I've got her responds to me, either the other don't understand or they just choose to ignore me :lol:

SOAD said:
She comes to her name too, she the only one I've got her responds to me, either the other don't understand or they just choose to ignore me :lol:

probably the later! :lol: :lol: :lol: i get they reconise there name but not sure about no! i have told hermonie loads of time to to discontect my phone, but she never listens! :roll: :lol:

hi

rabbits can definitely learn words as good as any dog or cat - you just have to repeat the word using the same tone of voice and they will get the gist of what you mean - When I get the veg for the furries I always get Benny worked up like you do with a dog when you say 'walkies!!!' - I use an 'excited voice' and say oooh it's veggie time!!! - and he dances around :lol:

I was late today after cleaning all the gp cages and he was moping around the kitchen looking fed up - I said 'is it veggie time now?' and he ran over to me looking thrilled - awww!

I'm sure they can learn what 'NO!!!' means - if you can bear to spoil their fun :wink:

Back