• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

TEENAGE BUNNYS

toria

Warren Scout
My 2 bunnys are 4 and half months old. Toby is a male lionhead and Willow a female min-lop. They both live in the same shed but live in seperate hutches for obvious reasons. I plan for them to live together in the shed, hopefully.
Willow`s behaviour has changedquite quickly, she is spraying and urinating where she likes and teasing Toby outside his hutch. Being only 4 and half months old, is this too young to spay her? The vet did say to me 6 months but if she`s behaving like this now, I don`t know what to do.
I expected this behaviour first from Toby but he hasn`t sprayed, only today has he got worked up and dashed about becasue she was running around. ANd today Willow didn`t spray or misbehave in any way.
Thing is it`s obvious they are at that age and as I have had no experience with femal rabbits, I don`t know if it`s th right time for her. I thought I would be gtting Toby neutered first. I have booked next week off work to coincide with their age and if it`s time.
I`m probably going to take them to the vets tomorrow, to ask what they think best, as it is really up to them on who is first. ANyone got any advice??

Normally boys can be neutered as soon as their testicles are fully developed, usually around 12 - 16 weeks (ish), so he should be ready to be done now if he is a normal sized bun and not a giant. Girls usually are neutered as you say around 5 - 6 months and no earlier, our vet will not neuter earlier unless their is a medical reason for doing so.

I would get Toby neutered now and then Willow in about 4 - 6 weeks time. It is not adviceable to do this any earlier even though she is having the occasional spray. A few weeks after Willow has been operated on you will ready to start thinking of pairing them up.

A lot of vets go by weight of bun rather than age when it comes to spaying. If your bun weighs 1kg or more your vet may agree to spay her now...the little tease that she is! :D Jane and Buns xx

according to the RWA leaflet - guide to having your rabbit neutered -females reach sexual maturity between 4-6 months . this is when they start to show the behaviour you are seeing. It also says that females CAN be spayed when the rabbit is AT LEAST 4 or 5 months old . However i do find that many vets will not spay before 5 months .

Angie

The teenage behaviour should stop by 18 months. So just over another year :shock: :lol:
But neutering gets rid of the sexual stuff within a few weeks, so it doesn't have to be that bad.

Our buns are both neutered. The female rabbit is nearly eight months old and she was spayed over a month ago by the rescue centre. At the moment she's acting VERY teenagerish! One minute she's hopping around happily, the next she's hiding in a corner thumping :roll:

We were slightly worried at first, thinking that she might be slightly 'mentally unstable'. But I think - hope it is just teenage behaviour.

Our male rabbit (2-3 years) keeps trying to mount her every few minutes though, he has been neutered, is that normal? Could he be causing her stress hence the unsettled behaviour?

Melanie

Back