• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinosis

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
I am wondering whether anyone has any information on the following issue...

There are big discussions and more and more evidence, that we over vaccinate our dogs by giving them a booster every year. There is more and more evidence also that this over vaccinations can be the cause of serious illness, which are a type of allergic reaction to the vaccines (the general term for such a reaction is vaccinosis, which can be epilepsy, autoimmune disease, digestive problems, even cancer etc.).
Various sources say that most vaccines for dogs last for 7 - 15 years or even life long, not just for a year! Recommendations for vets have recently changed from yearly to three-yearly for many vaccinations.

Now: is there any research on effects of vaccines for rabbits? I know that many rabbits experience problems after VHD vaccinations. But is there any evidence as to any long term problems, ie. autoimmune problems, epilepsy, digestive upsets etc.? Are Myxi and VHD vaccinations really only of such short term effect that they need to be repeated yearly or even six-monthly? Has anyone ever done any research into this?

Vera

PS. Before anyone complains... before you change the vaccination schedule for your dog, please read up on the subject and talk to your vet to make an informed decision! I do not imply any suggestions for or against vaccinations with this post!!!

do house rabbits need VHD and myxy ? Mady has the japs but when I went for a 2nd option at another vet for something else they said i didn't need to as she is a house rabbit. I think better safe than sorry and she has the japs. whatys think ? :?

LurcherGirl said:
I am wondering whether anyone has any information on the following issue...

There are big discussions and more and more evidence, that we over vaccinate our dogs by giving them a booster every year. There is more and more evidence also that this over vaccinations can be the cause of serious illness, which are a type of allergic reaction to the vaccines.
Various sources say that most vaccines for dogs last for 7 - 15 years or even life long, not just for a year! Recommendations for vets have recently changed from yearly to three-yearly for many vaccinations.

Now: is there any research on effects of vaccines for rabbits? I know that many rabbits experience problems after VHD vaccinations. But is there any evidence as to any long term problems, ie. autoimmune problems, epilepsy, digestive upsets etc.? Are Myxi and VHD vaccinations really only of such short term effect that they need to be repeated yearly or even six-monthly? Has anyone ever done any research into this?

Vera

PS. Before anyone complains... before you change the vaccination schedule for your dog, please read up on the subject before and talk to your vet to make an informed decision! I do not imply any suggestions for or against vaccinations with this post!!!

In the US cats & dogs are vacc every 2 - 3 years & only lepto is given yearly over there.
My vet also blood tests(it costs less than the extra vacc) my cats for leuk antibodies & if they are high enough(which they have been for 3 years now) he only jabs them for flu & ent.
Some vets believe (& have evidence to prove) that after a certain amount of vaccines have been given the body has enough immunity to no longer need boosters.

This has happened for humans too. Where it used to be a tetanus every 5 - 10 years they now say you no longer need more than 3 in your life time.

Also ~Rabies vaccs in humans has changed ~ I used to have to have one every 2 years but again I have had enough for my lifetime & if I were to be bitten by an animal that may be carrying the virus I would just have a post antidote iinstead.

I also think this will be found for rabbits eventually. :?

But until then im sticking with the recommended vaccine schedule!

madysmummy said:
do house rabbits need VHD and myxy ? Mady has the japs but when I went for a 2nd option at another vet for something else they said i didn't need to as she is a house rabbit. I think better safe than sorry and she has the japs. whatys think ? :?

Myxi is carried by biting bugs(flying & fleas) so still vacc for that!

leanne said:
madysmummy said:

Myxi is carried by biting bugs(flying & fleas) so still vacc for that!

And VHD is very sticky, so can be carried in on shoes, clothes etc. So yes, house rabbits also need to be vaccinated against VHD.

I would certainly adivse for both house rabbits and hutched rabbits that both myxie and VHD are given to adminstered to both. Myxie is believed to be spread by insects such as mosquitos and fleas which have access to both indoor and outdoors. VHD can be trasmitted into a house on your clothes and shoes followig contact with infected material.

They are both are such horrible diseases that I would not wish any rabbits to suffer from them.

Janice

We never vaccinated our old dogs, and never had any problems - we're quite isolated though, so don't really come into contact with other dogs, even on long walks (and with Prue now, I tend to go down back paths where not many people go, as she's a bit dappy and isn't keen on other dogs - and people can be put off by German Shepherds, especially as I walk her on a Halti which people do mistake for a muzzle).
Sometimes I do think vet care can do more harm than good! I had a chinchilla who jumped on my vicious rat's cage, and his toe was pretty swollen. Was treating it myself and it was on the mend, albiet slowly so I popped him into the vet to have it checked over. Vet ended up bandaging it up to stop him licking at it, 3 days later the bandage was taken off and the toe was 3 times the size it was before and all gunky! Carried on with the same treatment I'd been doing before, took a while (and saw two other vets as precautions - one said the toe may have to be amputated, the other said it'd probably fall off naturally!), and a few weeks later the toe is back to normal!
I never even knew about vaccinations when I got my first bun, and he was outside on a harness (he's an indoor bun, always has been) with no problems. However, now I know about it, I vaccinate mine (even though they're housebuns) just incase, especially as I'm surrounded in farmland which means lots of wild buns, and I have seen a few with myxi before. Sometimes the benefits outweight the sideeffects - at least epilepsy, tummy problems, etc. can be treated/medicated for, even if it was long-term, whereas if they got myxi or VHD it'd just be a case of putting them out of their misery.
If you think about our jabs - we have them done in our teens/as kids, and they tend to last a lifetime or every 10 or so years, so it is odd that animal ones would only last 6-12 months.

Back