• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Discipline

TripleD

Warren Scout
How can you teach a rabbit not to do something, is there some way of telling them off so they know not to do it again??

You could give them a 'time-out' period for a couple of minutes, but you'd have to catch them at it, doing it after they've done it would mean they probably wouldn't understand what they were being punished for. Just put them somewhere where they're not getting your attention, but not their cage as they may get bad associations with it and dislike being in it.
I think the best solution is making their bad behavious as close to impossible as you can, and distracting them with lots of good things to do. For example, if they're chewing your plants, remove them if possible and provide them with their own toys (or even their own plants) to chew on.

We manage to get our buns to understand what is good behaviour and what is bad behaviour. Chastise the bad and reward the good.

They went through a phase of chewing the carpet so everytime one of them was doing it we'd clap our hands and shout their name in a chastising way. To start with that wasn't enough to stop them so we'd have to actually go over to them and stop them/move them etc. But now if they're doing somehting naughty and I shout their name/clap hands they stop doing it. They soon learned that chewing the carpet was a no no.

Charlie is a digger - but he's learned that he can dig in his cardboard box, the litter tray in his cage (but not the one out in the lounge) and his tunnel thing. When I caught him digging I shouted at him, picked him up and put him in the cardboard box. But if he was in his cardboard box digging I'd give him a treat.

They both know not to jump on the furniture, they know its naughty cos they only do it when we aren't in the room with them and as soon as they hear foot steps down the hall way they jump back on the floor - I set up a web cam and watched them do it! :shock:

Mine also know things like if I clap my hands and point at their cage I want them to go inside. And if I shake the container with their treats in it then I want them to come to me.

It takes time but I think they're more intelligent that we perhaps initially think, and they're fairly trainable. Good luck. :)

There is a space in our living room between the wall and the tv unit. Obviously the buns aren't allowed behind there but Rosie always tries to sneak her way in there. If she tries, I say her name in a sort of you-dare-go-behind-there! way, low and growly, then she moves away, cocks her head looking at me and I tell her (as shes moved away) that shes a clever girl and say her name in a sweet/nice way, then she runs off sometimes with a binky lol.

If I've forgotton to remove them, they like trying to eat flowers from vases that are placed next to the fire on the hearth (?? is it called that??). I usually have to either clap or stamp a foot on the floor saying their name in a low, growly voice and they look then run away when they see me coming over to move it. They usually do a little head flick or binky after this too, rabbits have a heck of a sense of humour! :lol: :roll:

I think its good to point at them and say 'no' and their name in a deep voice, I used to point but I don't need to now, they know where they aren't supposed to go but they go there anyway and a growly 'ROSIE!' or 'HONEY!' makes them move :wink:

hehe TripleD - Sparky looks like my bun! well the markings anyway! on the discipline thing i usually whistle when i dont want my bun to do something and he gets the hint if i keep doing it and then he gives up, and usually remembers for future reference without me having ot make the hideous noise of whistling at him! but i don't mean i whistle a nice tune its usually just a monotonous note!

Just a very firm NO! works for us, if they persist then they get gently pused away from whatever they were doing with an even firmer No! if they stop then they get a treat if not they get a time out :lol:

allyandtobey - LOL yeah he kinda excpet for the beard they kinda look alike! :lol:

I've tried the firm No, it's mostly Jezebel that causes the problems, sparky is a layed back, easy going sort of bunny, but he's a lot older than jezebel.
I caught her digging so I quietly went out, clapped my hands loudly, and said "NO" really loud, it must of scared the poo out of hershe jumped a mile in the air, and round around really quickly. But it didn't stop her, now she's learnt to listen for the door to go, when it does she runs away and just sits there looking all cute and innocent! ....... with muddy paws! :roll:

Also, she seems to thump at me quite a bit! :cry:

it sounds a bit mean but a water pistol sometimes works . a short squirt and a loud no will often do the trick. rabbits are very clever though nemo just waits till im not looking and blueberry muffin just couldnt care less.

not sure the water pistol is a good idea, I only own one, and I think that would drown her! :lol:

here it is:

fd_1_b.JPG

Back