• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can i get fistral to bond with us?

bubble

Young Bun
At the moment, we are bringing her indoors each day for a few hours, so she can get to know us better, but all she does is sit under the futon...

is there any way we can get her to come and say hello without seeming 'pushy' or frightening her?

Sometimes she has a run around and sniffs at us, but thats as far as she goes... We are sitting her on my lap each night to groom her before she goes to bed. Is this the best way to gain her trust or are we just scaring her?

Thanks

Bubble

hi

I think it took about 3 months for my boys to totally relax with me around - just be kind to her and in time she'll relax - grooming sounds fine as long as she's not putting up a real fight - if she's long haired then it's essential so she has to get used to it - give her a little treat at the end :)

thanks...

she sits nice and still when she is on my lap, so i guess she likes it...

i think, as you say, it will just be a case of sit and wait...

The girl at the rescue I went to see last week puts the rabbit food in one hand, and then holds her other hand above it, so that the rabbit has to make contact (albeit very slight) with her top hand to get to the food, if you see what I mean. She has found that this very slowly gets them used to human contact and learn that you're not going to grab them. Once they get used to this, you can bring your hand a bit lower so there is more contact, and slowly start to stroke them with that hand at the same time. Eventually they learn that it's quite nice!

hi

that's a good tip Alison - my 4 younger girls won't let me touch them - I think they've only been routinely handled when checked for sex, health etc - they seem to think I'm going to pick them up and flip them over so they keep well clear - But today and yesterday the mum, gold loppy eared, came and ASKED for head rubs when I was cleaning them out :shock:
She used to be a pet whereas her daughters have mostly lived in rescue - I've had them 6 weeks and not tried to handle them at all in that time - can't even get near them, although they will climb on my shoes and sniff my hands etc. if they feel like it...I'll try the food thing in a month or 2 :)

Try lying flat on the floor, this way they don't see you as a such a big threat, have some treats and let him come and sniff them out as he is eating them just use the very edge of your finger for a little stroke and build from there, we are curently at the nose rub stage, but it has taken a month to get there :lol: :lol:

i've been laying on the floor with her for the last few days, and she has just started licking my nose...

is that a good sign?

aww that sounds like excellent progress, my first bun was flopsy u could pick her up and everything, then we had Harry, hes gorgeous, but wont let us pick him up the most we get is a quick stoke if we're lucky, the most he does is walk up (eventually) a quick sniff then scampers off, i might try the lying down myself
good luck

What would you call treats, Ive tried him on carrots, he likes them but not enough to make him come so close to me, and any other veg he doesnt like, he also runs round my herb garden but doesnt have a nibble at them (he does eat the pansies tho) what else can i try him on??

Back