• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new rabbit, advice needed please!

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, just wondered if you could give me a bit of advice.
I already have two bunnies, a neutered male and spayed female who live outside in a hutch and have run of the garden when i'm home. We are building them a shed with a run to keep them off the plants though.

My cousin has asked me if I want her rabbit. She got her a few months ago for her two kids and then bred with her. She had five babies that she sold to a pet shop :( Now they are bored with her and don't want her anymore :evil:
I said I would have her, she's a lovely rabbit and was very friendly last time i saw her.
She hasn't been vaccinated or spayed so I will have to get this done asap although I want to give her time to settle first.
I have an indoor cage and a spare hutch outside.
Do I keep her indoors away from the other two until she has been vaccinated and spayed or is it ok to put her outside in the spare hutch and let them out at separate times?
Mine have been vaccinated but i don't want to put them at risk. She lives outdoors now but in a garage so don't know how she will like living indoors.
I am collecting her on Sunday, can't wait to give her some love and a lovely garden to play in! :D

Hi there!

Firstly, sorry to hear about this poor bunny. Well done you for rescuing her. Stoopid people.

I would say yes keep her in the spare hutch. If you're letting them out at separate times that should be fine, and it might also be a good way of getting them used to each other's scent before they meet face-to-face. Plus you won't be putting your bunnies at risk if they have already been vaccinated.

Good luck!

AMETHYST

I am glad that this bunny is now coming to a loving home :D

I would get her vaccinated first and keep her well away from the others until her vaccs kick in - then I would introduce them and let them get to know each other through a wire.

That way once she is recovered from being spayed then they should all know each others scent and the bonding should be easier :D

lol Pam

Are you thinking of eventually bonding her with your existing pair or getting her a boyfriend?

Let us know how she settles in and show us a piccie :D

I hoping to bond her to my pair eventually. If that doesn't work i'll have to look at other options.
I will keep her indoors till she's had her two vaccinations. I was a bit concerned as my two are due for their VHD again on the 22nd so thought it might be better to keep her away. Especially as where she is now they have lots of wild rabbits coming into the garden.
Really looking forward to collecting her tomorrow. Pictures to follow soon. I also need to think of a name for her :D

I've just collected new rabbit and she is in the dining room in her cage. It was only a short drive but she seemed terrifed. My cousin said she hadn't been handled for weeks and doesn't look like she has had any attention.
She's very pretty but I don't want to take pictures yet till she has settled.
She's also quite large. Much bigger than my two. She is being fed some weird looking mixed food which I am going to wean her off.
Just wondering how much time should I spend with her to start with. No doubt I'll keep popping in every half hour to see how she is!

Thanks Phill. My first rescue bunny! Hoping she will eat soon, I have given her a piece of carrot but she hasn't touched it yet.

well done
keep her quiet and the lights not too bright and she should soon settle. i d try sitting quietly in the same room maybe reading or something but i would nt try handling her till she looks a bit more settled.
good luck

she's eating well now. Am going to put some pictures of her on very soon so you can see how pretty she is!

Back