• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help

Laine

New Kit
hi
I got my bun bun by accident from the local vets - he was dumped there!

My problem is - he hates me! He has been neutered and lives in the garden in a large hutch with a large run attached - he gets fresh food every morning and burgess supra excell all the time.

Whenever I go into his run to feed or clean out or to try and play with him - he runs at me grunting then bites my hand - I dont know what to do - please help me.

Laine[/url]

He doesn't hate you, he's probably just a bit afraid of humans! I've had Bobby for 3 years and he's still overly happy for me to be around him. Have you tried just sitting in the run with him and completely ignoring him. he'll soon come for a sniff round you, but don't try to pick him up or stroke him. Then try sitting there with some food on you, see how he reacts. There's a really good article on this somewhere - I'll try to find it.
Does he have a constant supply of hay? And he does just get a limited amount of pellets? :wink:
Have you thought about getting him a girlfriend? Bobby's always much more amenable to being around me when he has a friend.
Hope this helps.

Well done for rescuing him by the way.

Thanks alot - they all sound like good advice - we are just having building work done too which will give Brandon a bigger area too - so hopefully that will help.
I will try just sitting in his run and try hand feeding him his fresh food
Will also keep you all upto date

Thanks again

have just found out how to post pic - here goes

Brandon
manyof292.jpg

Welcome Laine and he is a real sweetie pie. I am sure with all the advice you will get on here that all will soon be "Hunky Dory" I think it will take a lot of time and love just to show him he has nothing to fear from you. Poor little baby probably does not know the love that you will be able to give him and once he does...wow

Keep us posted on the progress please :love:

Ah he's lovely. I think Phoebe hates me so you're not alone. She grunts so much i think she's half rabbit, half pig :lol:

It can be difficult when they have been mishandled prior to coming to you. I recently rehomed a rabbit that had had a dog set on him, and who must have been hit :shock: He has given me some very nasty bites :( I am gradually bringing him around by giving him treats whenever I pass him - he has become VERY demanding :lol:
I have bonded him to a big doe and they get on fabulously. He is so much happier now. But he still bites :( It can be a long road, and some rabbits stay agressive all their lives. It is part of their personality, and they can actually have a charm all of their own because of it. I had one madam who used to jump out from underneath my bed and try to bite my ankles :roll: But it may not be like that for Brandon, and I hope it won't be for Zebedee.
Lots of space, patience and a girl friend are what he needs.
Well done for rescueing him.

First of all i d like to say well done for saving Brandon.
I m sure he doesnt hate you but life so far has probably been unkind to him. Hopefully with patience and understanding from you he may get better behaved BUT.. please dont get upset if things dont get better . try to accept Brandon for what he is and take pride in the fact that if it wasnt for you he wouldnt be here at all. Sometimes bad treatment and mishandling results in learned behaviour that cant be cured even by all the good will and kindness you have but just remember its not Brandons or your fault.
We have a bunny in our rescue who has been here over a year . i think he ll be here forever because he bites but we all love him all the same and he doesnt mean it he even looks all ashamed when he sees us mopping up the blood (little ******)
good luck and keep trying
Angie

i have to agree with what has already been said he will need time to settle in and a girlie friend should help him to be less grumpy my boy timber is a grumpy old man but is much happier and friendlier when he has a partner!

why dont you go down to a local rescue and see if they have any girls that may be suitable for you!

what area are you in?

sophie

Hi
What a great bunch you all are - thank you very much for all your replies, funily enough I have been offered a female rabbit tonight so I may just accept her - could I put them together straight away or do I need to introduce them like I do with my guinea pigs?

I love Brandon to bits - no matter what he does - he has feelings as well as me and as you all rightly say we just dont know what he has been through

Will keep you all updated

Laine

so many good tips, I too have a bun who was ill treated and wasnt at all friendly, I paired him up with Flossie and he is better, but still doesnt like handling at all, I'm sure he'll come round in time, as will Brandon with your care :D

Laine said:
funily enough I have been offered a female rabbit tonight so I may just accept her - could I put them together straight away or do I need to introduce them like I do with my guinea pigs?

You need to introduce them. I'm just going through it with Bobby and Ruby at the moment. It's very cute actually, watching them test each other out!
What's the girlie called? I'm sure Brandon would love her.
How many piggies do you have? I love piggies too. They get up to such antics!

Hello again
The lady bun bun is called Willow and she is a huge bun too according to the pic I have of her. How do I introduce them?
I run a very small rescue ctr for guinea pigs so have avrying amounts - but I do have 15 of my own!!!

Laine

Me again! :D
This is really useful
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/BondingRabbits.htm
There are lots of past posts on bonding as well, if you do a search.

I have a permanent run, with a temporary run attached (for running on the grass),so Bobby is in the permanent one, Ruby in the temporary one. I got Ruby on Saturday, so they just sniffed each other on Saturday, through the bars. Sunday, i swapped them into each other's runs to get used to the smell of each other. Then I let them meet, a bit of chasing and fur flying, but that's to be expected. Today they spent all day together and tomorrow they'll go in together permanently.
Not strictly by the book, but it seems to be working for me. This is our set up, but there's a cage in the temp run for Ruby at the moment.
run.jpg

sorry for late reply

Hi all
MY BUNNY LOVES ME hoorah he finally let me pick him up today - bad news - didnt get doe for him yet - but iam working on that one.

Thank you all for your support and help

Laine and Brandon

Back