• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lone Rex, thinking of getting him a friend in the future...

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
First, sorry for the amount of questions to follow!

We have a lovely 3 month old male fawn purebred Rex and are thinking of getting him some company in the future (1 more rabbit). I hear that 2 boys would probably fight, so a spayed female maybe the way to go.

He has not been neutered yet, as his temprement is still very good. I have read somewhere that 5-6 months is probably the time to start thinking about this if his behaviour changes. I suppose he would have to be neutered anyway if paired with a female, even if she is spayed, as he would be trying it on all the time with a girlie rabbit!

What age (for both) would it be best to introduce a new rabbit and what is the best way to go about it?

We would certainly want another Rex, maybe a blue or opal. We would ideally like to get one from a good breeder who sells high quality, well looked after rabbits. We were even considering showing if we can get the right rabbit. Does anyone know if there are any Rex show breeders in Cornwall or Devon? Thanks in advance.

flopsy.gif

if you are going to get another rabbit i would strongly advise you to go to a rescue instead of getting a bunny from a breeder as rescues have always got so many bunnies that are in need of good homes. im sure one rescue will have a rex that you want.

its best to get him neutered, but there may be a rescue near you that will have a female rex that has had a bad start and is looking for someone to give her a good loving home.

sophie

He can be neutered as soon as his testicles drop. He might not ever develop poor behavior. Males usually spray to mark territory but if he lives outside, who cares!

I would also advise you to adopt a bunny. I can almost guarantee that you can find a rex in the color and gender you are interested in.

Best wishes!

A rescue is an option, but a breeder is a good choice too, especially if you want to show! Don't buy from a rescue to show, but do remember the rabbit must be whole and you'd need to join the BRC. There are breeders in Cornwall/Devon area,

J. Farmer (Devon): 01803 525257 He does Blue Rex

E. Hutchings (Devon): 01803 525257 He mainly does Castor/Cinnamon I think, but opal pops up too.

You can get rexes in rescue!
last year i got a white and a black rex both from rescues,my first rex claude was from a breeder but since rescuing my bunnies and piggies id never buy another from a breeder
heres lilac and shadow
085762ba54317dada7c007c9be95222f.JPG

13d3992bb6c2172ab3cfc8d416fae2f7.JPG

You can, but I wouldn't show them (except in pet). You don't know their history and they probably wouldn't do well as they would probably be older so their coat would be harsher, or their hocks may be going bald etc etc. If you want a show rabbit then I advise going to a breeder, there is a chance that you'll find a good one in a rescue, but you need to know exactly what you are looking for and, as the rabbit must be whole (unneutered) while shown, you may be tempted to breed by another breeder- unadvisable as history is unknown. For a show/breeding rabbit buy from a breeder, for a pet buy from a rescue. :wink:

Yes but you buy a rex from a breeder (like claude) his hocks went bald at 14 weeks so buying from a breeder doesnt mean it wont happen,my rescued rexes have much better covering on there hocks

I'm not sure why you can't neuter a show rabbit- but that is what I was told when I joined the BRC. I'll find out for you though :D

I'm not saying it bald hocks won't happen, all I am saying is that to buy a show rabbit it is more sensible to buy from a good breeder, if you say you are interested in showing they will help no end. Eddie Hutching, who I mentioned above, you can trust as a judge and rabbit breeder and he will sell you, or help you find some quality stock if you culd like something to show.

I don't mean to say you can never show a rescue rabbit, or come across a breeder's rabbit you can't show, but if you want a show rabbit then it is more sensible to go to a breeder who can show you what to look for, how to prepare them for show etc. Maybe you could join the forum at rabbitbreeders.co.uk, it has many members who only own pets or show rabbits and don't breed, despite its address.

It would be interesting if you could find out about the neutering thanks Hannah.

If you want to show properly the rabbit needs to be rung ( I think that's right) it's not that common for rung rexes to turn up in rescue though not impossible.

If you're just showing in the pet class I don't think it matters as they're not judging to breed standards (looks) instead health, friendlyness etc.

Tam

Cloverleaf_stud said:
I'm not sure why you can't neuter a show rabbit- but that is what I was told when I joined the BRC. I'll find out for you though :D

I'm not saying it bald hocks won't happen, all I am saying is that to buy a show rabbit it is more sensible to buy from a good breeder, if you say you are interested in showing they will help no end. Eddie Hutching, who I mentioned above, you can trust as a judge and rabbit breeder and he will sell you, or help you find some quality stock if you culd like something to show.

I don't mean to say you can never show a rescue rabbit, or come across a breeder's rabbit you can't show, but if you want a show rabbit then it is more sensible to go to a breeder who can show you what to look for, how to prepare them for show etc. Maybe you could join the forum at rabbitbreeders.co.uk, it has many members who only own pets or show rabbits and don't breed, despite its address.
Claude was from a good breeder,she shows rabbits infact claude was pick of litter all im saying is you could buy a rabbit from a breeder intend to show it and it not come up to scratch theres no guarantee

Tamsin said:
It would be interesting if you could find out about the neutering thanks Hannah.

If you want to show properly the rabbit needs to be rung ( I think that's right) it's not that common for rung rexes to turn up in rescue though not impossible.

If you're just showing in the pet class I don't think it matters as they're not judging to breed standards (looks) instead health, friendlyness etc.

Tam
Out of the two i had lilac was rung,but i got it removed,i think cosmos cazs rex was still rung too

My rex is from a rescue too :D I didn't think I'd ever find a rex in a rescue! She also had a sister there and there was another rex there too so they're not all that uncommon :)

So if you want to show, it looks like a female rex that you get from a breeder couldn't be a friend for your rex :? Unless you got him neutered, not sure if he'd pester her still though, I'm not sure what you could do! I'd say get your bun neutered and get him a rescue friend and then think of showing in the future :D

Don't mean to hijack but what does 'rung' mean?

Show rabbits bred by British Rabbit Council (BRC) members have rings put on their legs by their breeder when they are little. This has an identification number. You can only show a rabbit in a pedigree class if it's rung (has had a ring put on) :)

Tam

you could buy a rabbit from a breeder intend to show it and it not come up to scratch theres no guarantee

I know and I did mention that :wink: If you wanted to show the rabbit then I would show it for as long as the coat holds (Rexes don't usually have a very long show life), and then bond it with your male. If not then by all means go to a rescue, just don't go there expecting to buy show stock, that is all I've been trying to say. And don't feel pressured to go to a breeder or a rescue, both are good, but really have different pros and cons, I mean, you could go to a good pet shop (though I highly inadvise this) it is your rabbit, just do what you'd rather do. :)

If you want to show properly the rabbit needs to be rung ( I think that's right)

That's right! Just to remind you rexes show best younger, and coats can get ruined through a lot of stress or a big moult, quite a few rescue rabbits will be older than one, and have been through stress. Yes, the coat willl still feel lush, but not as good as those younger bred by top breeders. You may yet find a rung rex (ermine, blue, black, opal etc) in a rescue, however it may not be suitable for show due to the fact it was probably not dumped by the breeder but by a new pet owner who was not a BRC member and so didn't transfer it into their name, this means it would almost definately be unsuitable for show stock, at least show stock that did well. Of course, it might happen, just don't go to that rescue thinking "I'm getting a rabbit I can show," then be sad when it is faulted or just doesn't do well.

If you are interested in shows how about you go to a BRC show near you and just see what goes on and get a feel of the rexes there. Then you'll see some top quality stock, and understand a little more what to look out for. There are various things that you wouldn't know unless you were told, like don't rest your hands on the rexes coat (as you would with other breeds) while at the table, just that can ruin the coat temporarily and ruin its chances at the show, if you go to a rescue most can't tell you that, but if you buy from a breeder they can. I'm sorry, but buying potential show stock you don't go to a rescue.

Sorry if I am coming across as pompous or something, it is just you really don't.

PS: If a rung rabbit comes into a rescue phone the BRC and they will tell you whose it is (or who the ring belongs to) most breeders would want to know if a rabbit they bred ended up in a rescue, and that is partly why the ring pet stock they sell on and provide a sheet on how to check it is still fitting, (sometimes rings are removed as pets get overweight easily and so the ring gets too tight) or you could have a word with the breeder/report them to the BRC if they are the ones dumping their rabbits (would be very unusual).

And bluebunny, your lilac does look lovely, that is a rarity though!

if you want to show a bunny why cant they be neutered?

sophie

http://www.rabbitbreeders.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6979&st=0

Read that ^^ :D Pay special attention to what Phil (MinatureLops) has to say, his opinion is very valid as a judge and an exhibitor.

Thanks for your help so far everyone. I have to say that I think Colverleaf_stud talks alot of sense and is not being pompous in any way. Thanks also for the phone numbers of Devon Rex breeders.

I am considering looking at a show rabbit as I have recently become interested in rabbits by chance through my 7 year old daughter. I am thinking of showing rabbit(s) as a potential future interest/hobby and would like to involve my daughter as much as possible in it too. I will certainly consider rescues first as I think there are so many uncared for rabbits needing good homes. However, as Cloverleaf_stud points out, the chances of finding a Rex of the required quality breeding in a rescue is limited.

As I asked in my original question, would someone please advise on the best time to introduce a new rabbit and how to go about it (Flopsy is male, 13 weeks old and not neutered). Thanks in advance.

flopsy.gif

you would have to get him neutered first and then think about pairing them up, you cant have a unneutered male and a neutered female because he will still pester him.

thanks for the link, i think you have to register to get onto it though!

question- how would they know if a girl has then been neutered because it is very difficult to know unless you open them up!

sophie

Here is what one person says in the thread..
Whats the point in breeding the best champion the world has ever seen and then NOT being able to replicate it (or have the chance to do so) ?

We are rabbit breeders who show our animals. We do this to a stnandard. We try and better 'our' standard with each mating. If the animal is castrated/neutered then this is no longer possible.

Cloverleaf.. members on here cannot see threads in teh approved section on that forum :wink:

Just to add Cosmos was (and still is) rung when I adopted him. The breeder was giving up I believe when he and the others were given to the rescue.

I emailed the BRC to get info about him i.e. age and breed (I wasn't sure if he was a normal or mini-rex) and they never bothered replying.

Luckily some BRC members on here helped me to "read" his ring and understand what it meant.

I check his ring regularily as I do with Zeus' to make sure it isn't getting tight or has anything stuck under it. I will probably get them removed soon as there is little chance of them getting stolen now.

Caz

Our male Rex is now nearly 16 weeks old. We are still unsure whether to bring in another rabbit for him as a companion. If we did, then when would be the best time to do this? If he has to be neutered, then what age should this be done and how soon after this should he be introduced to another (female) rabbit? How do you introduce them etc... Sorry to repeat on the original questions, but I cannot find the answers in the replies so far....

flopsy.gif

Back