• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits giving humans colds

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

This may be a silly question!

Alfie has had a cold over the last week or so which is being treated. however, i have been feeling very light-headed and dizzy and generally really under the weather. My boyfriend said its from the rabbit because i keep kissing him and not always washing my hands (although i always do when eating or cooking)

I told him i'd check the bunny forum to see if thats possible!! i don't think it is personally?!

hi

yes you can catch pasteurella from bunnies! We had a post on it a couple of weeks back - it's not a cold as such, but a viral infection - can even give you blood poisoning, so always wash your hands after handling him and don't snuggle your mouth into his fur.

hi

don't panic - no-one else here has ever caught if off their rabbits - it's mainly if you have a cut or scratch on you that gets infected?

Thanks elve!!

I was getting really worried then :(

I tried looking it up on the net but i couldn't find anything so it can't be that common!

Its prob just a coincidence that we are both ill!

thanks again

Back